Saturday, 15 December 2012

Captain of Leviathans

©J&C Matthews & W. Kingham
This week I'll be blogging with the recently released Steampunk Tarot: Gods of the Machine (Connections, 2012).  Although it is a standard, 78 card tarot, and follows RWS notions, all the suits (leagues), the Courts and the Majors have been renamed.  So, we find Engines for Wands, Submersibles for Cups, Air Ships for Swords, and Leviathans for Pentacles.  And for the Courts we have Messengers, Navigators, Ladies and Captains.  Today's card, then, is the equivalent to the King of Pentacles.

The Captain stands, legs akimbo, part way up a red staircase.  He wears a brown jacket, boots and hat, black-tinted goggles, and tan trousers.  In front of him mill some people, also in Steampunk costume - plenty of flying goggles and hats to be seen here! 

The companion book says this stalwart chap is giving a rousing speech, practical and inspiring, to the crew of the leviathan.  With the bright skylights above him, this card feels a little less grounded than I would expect for this suit, normally associated with the element of earth.  Still, the Captain himself does seem strong and determined, and has an earthy feel to him in the colour of his clothing.  Someone who can get things done, and keep others calm, focused and working hard :)  He won't stint on the work himself, either, willing to shoulder whatever job needs doing, in a pinch.

As for me, today we spend the morning in the spa, then head home.  There are a couple of things I need to get done this afternoon, workwise - no rest for the wicked!  Still, there'll also be time to relax, and maybe a chance to delegate some of it... ;) 

I am grateful for the determination to get things done.

6 comments:

  1. I found this card kind of strange when I was closely inspecting it. He looks like a doll, doesn't he? A bit Action Man.

    I hope you enjoy your spa and have some time to relax from everything for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      You're right, there are several people in this deck who look rather fake, and he's definitely one! Also makes me think of Lord Flashheart in Blackadder Goes Forth ;)

      The spa was lovely, really relaxing and nice :) Hope you're having a good weekend!
      C

      Delete
  2. He is very Sky Captain like. I like this card. I will be interested to see the rest. I hope it is female-positive. I find some Steampunk aficianados to be a bit sexist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some rather Barbie-esque females in there, but also some very real women - the Queen of Wands is Catlín Matthews herself, for instance :)

      Delete
  3. That makes me happy. I prefer a balance of male/female. :D

    ReplyDelete