Monday, 3 December 2012

Chaos

©Angela Oliver
This is one of the two extra cards in the New Zealand Naturally (Angela Oliver, 2012) deck - Chaos.

Oh, isn't this little creature cute?  With a bushy tail and big, pink ears, this possum reminds me of a squirrel - one of my favourite animals.  However, the LWB (a single sheet) explains that while the Brushtail Possum was introduced to New Zealand to encourage a fur industry, it just caused chaos and destruction, especially to the native bird species.

What we have here, then, is something which may seem like a good idea.  Yet, there is a warning of unforeseen consequences that come to bite us in the backside.  We can't avoid chaos, but we can take a step back before we act, to try and spot any pitfalls.  Also, I'm guessing the possum itself is pretty happy in New Zealand - a reminder that there are always two sides to any situation.  What may seem like disruption and annoyance from one perspective may be life-affirming from a different point of view...

I have some NHS bureaucrats to deal with today, which could be what this card is referring to.  In those situations, the most important thing is probably to count to ten, take a deep breath, smile, and ask if they can help with whatever the issue is.  Wish me luck!

I am grateful for the reminder to try and see things from the other's perspective.

6 comments:

  1. I think these cards are great! So colourful and interesting. Which one is this in traditional tarot. Can't quite understand the numbering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      You're obviously staying up too late - internet attachment syndrome ;) As it says in the first sentence, this is one of two extra cards in this deck, so it isn't traditional at all :D

      I agree with your sentiment, though. These cards are lovely. I know there is art quality in the Daniloff I used last week, but I somehow prefer these - very personal opinion...

      Cx

      Delete
    2. You know, you are right. I was shattered last night and didn't take that in at all. I see now :)

      I know what you mean about the art styles of this and the Daniloff. Some decks are just more readable to me. Like the Sharman-Caselli I am using at the moment. I don't love every illustration bur it opens up, which I like.

      Delete
    3. I think I just respond better to somewhat more playful images... :) What do you think triggers that opening for you?

      Delete
  2. I have realised over the years that I like uncluttered images. As much as I might like images from a lot of decks that appear that way, I find the more simplistic stuff easier to read. I also like a nice image these days. When I was younger, I liked darker decks and things that might look a bit edgy, but now I just like something that is thought out and well put together. I think there are a lot of underrated decks out there that fall into that last kind. When making Fragments I thought a lot about this - trying to make it appealing to look at but also a useful tool. There's no point having a beautiful box with no bottom or a fantastic car with no wheels. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      Yes, I had a love affair with dark decks, too. In fact, they do still hold appeal - will blog with a nice indie next week :) Still, I prefer if they are attractive as well as dark.

      Seems like you did a great job making Fragments both appealing and practical. Can't wait to see what you and Kate come up with next!
      Cx

      Delete