Monday, 17 December 2012

Crash & Burn

©C&J Matthews & W.Kingham
On this rather cold and cloudy Monday morning, the card we have from the Steampunk Tarot: Gods of the Machine (Connections, 2012) is the Four of Leviathans (Pentacles).

This suit had me rather confused when I first went through the deck.  After all, these Leviathans (originally a sea monster or large aquatic creature) seem to be a means of transport across water, so, Cups were my first thoughts.  However, it is less the location and more the size and the approach of those in the Leviathans that seem to count. 

Here, for example, the leviathan sails blithely past a downed airship, distress flare blazing bright blue in the foreground.  The Captain of the Leviathan would rather look out for his own people, resources and profitability than help out strangers.

I've certainly been taking care of myself this weekend, with spa time away, meditation and exercise :)  Still, I also finished off my Christmas shopping, and some of the wrapping, too.  In amongst all the relaxing and the Christmas chaos, I hope I can still keep an eye open to see if someone could do with a helping hand.  This card reminds me that last year I donated food to a homeless shelter.  Will do the same this year.

I am grateful for the reminder to be open to others.


4 comments:

  1. What a strange card. Do you think this is more an oracle than a tarot? I have to admit I don't get it at all, based on what we saw at the conference and what I've seen online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, this is still definitely a tarot. Although very different, if you go into the images and the book there is a RWS content inherent in the cards, just from a very different perspective. However, you could always use it as an oracle if you preferred...

      Delete
  2. Another one of those decks that seem utterly unreadable to me. I like how you related/read this though :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still prefer Barbara Moore's Steampunk Tarot, partly because I love that art style, and am not so keen on this kind of photo collage thing. And partly because it is more straightforward to read. Still, there's an interesting quirkiness to this deck...

      Delete