Monday, 10 December 2012

Cutlery

©Celestae
The Tarot of the Wyrd (The Game Crafter, 2012) keeps the suits of Wands and Cups as normal, but renames the other two suits: Swords become Cutlery, and Pentacles become Watches.  So, today's card is equivalent to the Ten of Swords.

That is fairly apparent from the image.  We see a woman lying in a pile of autumnal leaves, in a darkly wooded landscape.  The sky above looks cloudy and grey on the card, though in the scan we can see a rainbow in the background.  The woman is pierced by what look like giant-sized fancy table knives.  Yet, amongst all the darkness and sharp implements, the woman wears a white, sleeveless blouse, and an almost blissful expression.  And a colourful butterfly sits upon one of the knife handles.

This card, then, speaks of the new beginnings that follow endings, the transformative power of pain, and the ability of the human spirit to grow and seek joy, no matter what the circumstances.

When I first saw this card this morning, I thought of the quote from Macbeth: "Glamis hath murdered sleep... Macbeth shall sleep no more."  Thinking on it more, though, I believe what I need to let go of is my feeling of "woe is me" for the state of my sleep.  Big Boy has slept poorly for nearly five years now, so it's not likely to change anytime soon.  Rather than moaning about it, I need to ask for help a bit more often.  After the three day course, yesterday I went and got my Dear One up at 7.15 to take over and let me get a nap in.  I don't do it often, but I need to find ways to take the strain off.

I am grateful for possibilities for change.

6 comments:

  1. Hug, hug, hug...HUG!!

    I am so sorry. You've had a very challenging year. I wish for better sleep and lots of GOOD, amazing things for you this year. I'm glad you asked for help.

    Hugs and sending a good week,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Thanks for the hugs! :)

      Yes, I wish for better sleep for us all! I know you struggle with it, too :(

      Wishing you a happy, sleep-filled week,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. I wonder if there's any way you could get a full time nanny in, even if it is for only a couple of nights a week. Then you could sleep through the night on those nights. I also think it's only fair that you and your Dear One take this in turns, and you should probably be waking him more often. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla,

      Well, we used to have a nanny in for two nights a month, and just a couple of weeks ago we agreed to up it to once a week :) One of the problems is that it's expensive, another that it affects our family intimacy. And then there's the fact that sometimes I still don't sleep! Well, mainly if there's trouble with BB and so I'm still on tenterhooks, or woken by the kerfuffle, even though I put earplugs in on those nights...

      As for waking my Dear One more often, part of the issue is that he's really not a morning person, while I am. So, he suffers more, and then neither of them is happy, and I take the brunt of it later. So, I prefer to just take care of the mornings. As I say, yesterday I waited til 7.15 to get him, though BB was up at 4.30.

      Still, I think this weekend was just particularly hard because I had the course, so couldn't go back to bed later for a nap, which I normally do. Makes me realise how lucky I am not to have a 9-5 job!

      Delete