Friday, 21 December 2012

Cyborg

©C&J Matthews & W. Kingham
For this final day with the Steampunk Tarot: Gods of the Machine (Connections, 2012), we have yet another Major.

Titled Cyborg, this is an interesting take on the Devil.  In the foreground, we have the Cyborg, a clockwork creature with gears showing at his neck and spikes protruding from his skull.  He holds a mask with goat horns just in front of him, while a tear rolls from the one blue eye we can see.  In the background is a red-headed woman, naked and bound to a wheeled chair, with a chain attached to it that leads to the Cyborg.

That tear rolling down an otherwise expressionless face is striking!  Is the Cyborg holding the woman captive, or is he her mechanical slave in a twisted play?  Or could he be someone else's tool in this game of cat-and-mouse?  Who is trapped, and what binds them?

What I see in this card today is my son.  Firstly, because he is a cyborg, dependent on technological implants in order to survive.  Although that's not unusual these days, his implant is less subtle and less common than a pacemaker or hearing device.

Secondly, I see my own pain and demons around him.  I'm going to the first birthday party of one of my goddaughters today, but Big Boy isn't going with me.  That's because it's his last day of school, and he'd rather be there saying goodbye to his friends and teachers (plus we can't just take him out of school for a party).  However, it means I will be at a party with lots of normal children, and without being able to see my lovely boy and give him a cuddle to stave off the demons.  Perhaps this card is a reminder that I can use technology to help in this case: looking at a picture of Big Boy to remind myself how much I love him, in spite of his differences and difficulties.

I am grateful for technology.

7 comments:

  1. *Hug hug hug* and *HUGGLES* to you, Chloe. As a Southern woman, I hereby name you an honorary steel magnolia. Use whatever tools are available to you, but the steel is in you already. Day by day, moment by moment, tear by tear, smile by smile. Enjoy the party for what it is and return to Big Boy and enjoy him, too. *more hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the many *hugs* and *huggles* - not sure a steel magnolia should require such things, but they're definitely appreciated :)

      The party wasn't bad, and at one point I ended up showing someone lots of pictures of Big Boy (well, she did ask). Good to remember the good times when I see one year olds doing things Big Boy can't.

      Delete
  2. Wow. This was so loving and so real, Chloe. You teach me on a daily basis how to seek joy. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, not sure if it's seeking joy or just getting by... Still, reminds me of the "warding off the suckies" page of Leonie's planner - getting and giving cuddles is definitely first on my list ;)

      Delete
  3. Honorary steel magnolia, indeed! I would find that big family hosting job totally overwhelming! And you run, what, three or four Tarot-related blogs, like, all the time! Amazing woman! Love the story, and the sharing. I wonder if my old family tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve came from the German side of my family (I was originally a Jacobsmeyer). Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, Chloe, meant for this comment to go after the Christmas blog hop thing but ended up in the wrong place by accident. Don't know how to delete it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to worry, Joanne, I picked that up :) Yes, I can imagine that is where the family tradition comes from - funny to see the traces of the past in the present!

      Delete