Thursday, 6 December 2012

Daft Bird

©Angela Oliver
Today's card from New Zealand Naturally (Angela Oliver, 2012), is the Fool.

Here, we see a Weka bird chasing after a butterfly.  So intent on this intriguing, fluttering presence is the bird, that it's about to run right off a cliff!  Still, it's a bird, so it shouldn't come to much harm, right?  Its instincts will kick in, and it will take flight.  Except that the Weka is a flightless bird!  This card, like traditional images, is still a reminder to temper our curiosity with our natural instinct for self-preservation.

Today, I start a three-day training on nutritional interventions in people with eating disorders.  It is the final part of the course I started over two years ago, and which led to me stopping being a vegetarian.  I had to delay this last part by a year, due to work commitments.  Now, after all this time, I wonder how these three days will affect me...  I shall try to stay open to whatever may come.

I am grateful for new beginnings.

4 comments:

  1. Wow this is an awesome fool card! Perfect critter for it.

    Good luck with the course. Though as a vegan, I cannot help but ask - what about taking it last time led you to stop being vegetarian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Bonkers,

      Well, the woman who was leading the course talked about eating disorders, and how excluding foods is often a precursor to them, or can even be an eating disorder in itself - orthorexia. That was how it was for me. I was told I should avoid a whole bunch of foods due to intolerances, and that was the start of some years of my life I look back on with sadness.

      She also talked about how food cravings are largely a sign of poor nutrition, and the fact that it is hard to get sufficient quality protein on a vegetarian or vegan diet. Not impossible, but hard. I still suffered from food cravings, and wasn't happy with my eating, even though it was no longer a "disorder".

      She challenged us to try adding a broader spectrum of foods to our lives, and to make changes. The first time I ate meat again, after well over a decade, I thought I'd throw up. Now I actually enjoy it, and my eating is a lot healthier overall, with less cravings and far less binges. I respect other's choice to be vegetarian, but I recognise that it probably isn't a very healthy choice for me.

      Hope that's not TMI...
      Cx

      Delete
    2. I have a history of EDs myself, not exactly over and done with (not something I get into usually) so not TMI/I get it. I've def heard of that before, and though it really does not apply to me (pet peeve of mine when people suggest that) I understand how it can be related/stemming from that end of things for others.

      Though I'd disagree with her as a general principle that getting enough protein as vegeterian/vegan is necessarily difficult, if eating meat again helped you with eating and feeling healthier, then it sounds like it was indeed the right decision :]

      I totally agree with you, that it's not the right choice for everyone/people should do what's best for them. Totally not trying to imply otherwise, just curious :]

      Delete
    3. Sorry to hear that, it's definitely a tough nut to crack!

      As for saying it's hard to get enough protein, one of the examples she gave was tryptophan, which is an amino acid used to make seratonin (the happy hormone). Poultry contains more than twice as much as equivalent vegan sources, and is also more bio-available - it's easier to get out of the food. Sometimes, even though vegetarian items contain something, we may not actually be able to use it, due to how our digestion works. So, for tryptophan, you'd have to eat about four times as many portions of beans or tofu as you would chicken or eggs to get similar levels of this essential amino acid. That's what she means when she says it's difficult...

      Delete