Monday, 10 December 2012

Getting Ready for 2013

©Celestae
Alison, of This Game of Thrones, has come up with another gem for looking at our lives through tarot, and particularly the Court cards.  She wrote about next year being a Lovers year, and how to find out our card for the year.  Then Alison suggested picking two Court cards, one for the energy that will help us in this endeavour, and the other that will be a hindrance.   Well, I just had to give it a go!

My card for the year is the Hierophant, never my favourite.  So often, I see him as being about rigid structures, institutional approaches.  However, working through a Lovers year, blending their focuses, it would be more about choosing appropriate structures and institutions for our own ends, perhaps.  I also see the Hierophant as connected to teaching and spirituality.  With the Lovers, that means offering people different options of how to learn, and exploring what spirituality truly means to me.  I can get behind that :)

Which Court cards, then, will help and hinder me next year?  I drew again from the Tarot of the Wyrd (The Game Crafter, 2012).

©Celestae
The Knight of Cups is my helper.  I often see him as being about needing to walk your talk.  While exploring my spirituality, then, I must be willing to actually live it, too!  When teaching, I should do so with emotional openness, allowing for different perspectives.  And when trying to choose appropriate structures or institutions, I should hold true to my principles and follow my heart.

In all of this, I mustn't get trapped in the rigidity which the Hierophant can sometimes bring.  Instead, I should keep moving forward with an open heart, to make the best choices available to me in the moment.

©Celestae
And what might hinder me in working through the Hierophant in a Lovers year?  Here I meet the Page of Cups.  This card can suggest navel gazing rather than actually doing.  I see, then, a message about not letting emotions well up unchecked and undirected.  No sitting and letting my emotions overwhelm me: I need to use that emotional energy to bring about forward movement.

On a side note, doing this exercise I realised there is a very unusual aspect to this deck.  Card 5 is titled the Hermit, instead of the Hierophant, and card 9 is titled the Shaman!  I looked in the LWB and discovered that, yes, this is intentional.  The Hermit/Hierophant is associated with study and antisocial behaviour, the Shaman/Hermit with soul journey's.  Strangely, I hadn't noticed that going through the deck when I first got it, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.  It is perhaps a little confusing... 

4 comments:

  1. Chloe, this is brilliant! There seems to be a little nucleus who are Hermits next year. - it will be interesting to see how this pans out for us.

    Is there any reason given for the card swap in the deck?

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ali,

      Sorry, I'm a Hierophant, it's only the strange naming of this particular deck that makes me seem a Hermit ;) And no reason is given - it's just a small sheet of paper as a LWB: standard for the Game Crafter :(

      It's interesting, though, as I think that these Cups would suit the Hermit better than the Hierophant...

      Delete
  2. And I'm Chariot for 2013. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving forward with new vigour - may it be so :)

      Delete