Friday, 7 December 2012

Hatchling

©Angela Oliver
For this final day with the New Zealand Naturally Tarot (Angela Oliver, 2012), we are greeted by another lovely card: the Star.

A rather strange-looking bird, the White Kiwi, has been chosen by the deck creator.  It is white (obviously), with no apparent wings, a very long beak, and a blue and red eye.  Well, presumably both eyes have that strange colouring, but we can only see one :) 

The bird sits, with its own shell to its left, and a little pond to its right.  Behind it, a small, spiky bush reaches up into a sky graced with five stars.  The five stars glow, with purple and red aureoles around them.

The LWB says that the White Kiwi "is considered a sign of good omens and new beginnings", and that is beautifully illustrated here.  The hatchling is a new beginning, the stars good omens.  I also like the symbolism of the eggshell and pond, as though leaving behind a time of restriction, and moving towards a time of greater emotional openness.  Of course, leaving our shell, being emotionally open, can be a vulnerable place to be.  Without that, though, we can never let ourselves be touched by the beauty of life.

I found yesterday on the course a little challenging.  Partly because Big Boy had a bad night, so I'd only gotten about 4 hours sleep, and partly because of the subject matter.  Looking at healthy nutrition was a reminder of where my eating still isn't what I'd like it to be, though it's so much better than it was in the past.  I hope today, with more sleep, I will see the positive side to this learning, the chance to make more healthful choices rather than just criticising where I don't do so well.

I am grateful for the chance to learn and open myself to change.

13 comments:

  1. Just don't let the course be a trigger for you. We can't be perfect. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very wise! Yes, I already noticed that by half way through the afternoon yesterday I was craving chocolate. Thinking about poor eating is a trigger in itself for me *doh* Ah well, the course is only three days, and hopefully the long-term effects of the learning will outweigh the strain of these three days...

      Delete
    2. From what I have been reading, transformation and change is found in those dark places and it's not easy. We have to fall to be able to get up. So you going on this course and acknowledging difficulties is something you need maybe, so you can transform and work towards your goals even further. It would seem that real understanding and learning is in the sh*ttier places. For me, it is reacting to stuff - flare-ups, giving up, laziness - meaning that those are things I have to target.

      Hope that things work out well for you with the course :)

      Delete
    3. Hi PLN,

      Thanks, overall it has been a very useful experience. And today went a lot more smoothly. Still, I'm not unhappy it's over, though it was a good learning experience. The effects will probably trail on for a while, too... :)

      Delete
  2. I think the lighter part is the wing--like baby chicks they tend to look all fuzz but I can see a discernible wing.

    I would so like this deck. Maybe next year.

    I thought it would go well with my other deck of New Zealand flora and fauna, Wisdom of the Four Winds. The two decks have a totally different style of art, it would be great to use them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi woley,

      I'll have to take a look at the Wisdom of the Four Winds - that's one I haven't seen ;) And yes, now you say it, I think I can see where the wing is... Even so, aren't Kiwis flightless?

      Delete
  3. I had the same kind of night with one of my kids the other night, and I'm right there with you on recognizing that I have not been eating as I should. It is that time of year, huh? I love the card for new beginnings, and every day can be one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true, Siddaleah: every day can be a new beginning! :)

      Delete
  4. Hugs to you and all the great commenters!

    I know the feeling. Woooo boy howdy. But, in your case...at least you have a nice body. Even if you had an occasional indulgence you would be A-OK. All that yoga! Just makes me realize I need to do yoga. Must...get...over...exercise...hatred. :D

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Must...get...over...exercise...hatred.' LOL :) :D

      Delete
    2. Hi MM,

      I can't even imagine hating exercise! I get itchy if I can't work out. Two of the three days of this course, I just haven't been able to fit it in, and instead I got off the tube (underground) a stop early so I'd at least get a 15 minute walk :D

      I guess one of the important suggestions is to find something you enjoy in some way. That might be dancing because you can just let go, or yoga for the meditative aspect, or weights because you don't get sweaty, or swimming because it feels natural... What did you like to do as a kid? It's finding that sense of playfulness that'll get you hooked :)

      Hugs,
      Chloë

      And yes, it did make me laugh, too ;D

      Delete
    3. That's what the people I know who exercise frequently say. I'm sure once I did it more I might think the same. Or not. There are people I've met who continue to feel challenged by it. Actually I hated exercise as a kid, too. My parents forced me to do it, which I think is part of the seed of hatred. But they had me pick things I thought I would like (such as dance, etc)...but I still didn't like it.

      So that's why I think I am going to have to figure out something that is more 'tolerable' and at least go from there. I have to use the 'health' reason and try to let that motivate me. :)

      Hugs,
      MM

      p.s. Carla--I am glad you enjoyed that. Lol. I do admit it's a self-defeating way of seeing it. :D

      Delete
    4. I read once that the most effective method of exercising found in a study of Americans was... getting a dog :D Not sure if that would be feasible for you, but it makes the point about what they call Non-Exercise Activity Training. Basically, moving and burning calories in ways that aren't "exercise", and certainly not in a smelly gym!

      For example, making a commitment to cycle to work, get off the bus a stop early, walk rather than take the elevator. Not sure any of those examples would be relevant to you, but hopefully you get the idea...

      Or else, make it more a part of your spiritual practice - yoga :)

      Delete