Friday, 14 December 2012

Nurse

©Celestae
For this last day with the Tarot of the Wyrd (The Game Crafter, 2012) we have a card from the suit of Watches (Pentacles).  I found this a very strange change to make.  I suppose that clock-watching is very much a work attitude, practical and rigid.  Clocks were first brought in for things like train timetables, and of course "clocking on and off".

Here, then, we have the Six of Watches (Pentacles).  However, there is no traditional image of a merchant dispensing alms to the less well-off to be seen.  Instead, we have a bespectacled nurse with a nun-like headdress and a watch pinned to her pure white apron.  Around her float five more pocket-watches.  A nurse as archetype for caring and compassion, of tireless work for others, has a rather different feel to it than the normal depiction, it must be said.

The keyword for the card is Selflessness, which doesn't quite jibe with my normal take on this card, either.  For me, there's an aspect of give and take, of generosity maybe, but also the ability to receive.  Perhaps, too, a suggestion of getting what we deserve, and giving what we can.  Selflessness, on the other hand, seems to suggest giving beyond what is necessarily healthy for us.  And I think we see that with the high rate of burnout suffered by people in caring professions, and the institutionalisation which can lead to a loss of human kindness, if we aren't careful.  Maybe that leads us back to give and take - we have to make sure to take care of the carers, if they are to continue caring...

Today is my Dear One's birthday, and to take care of both him and myself we are going away to a spa for a night.  We have massages booked, and plan to take things easy, and enjoy some nice food.  Hopefully then, we'll return home tomorrow with more energy to deal with Big Boy's dreadful sleep and consequent bad temper.

I am grateful for some respite.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla :) I'm hoping it'll give me a chance to catch up on blog reading, too! Though I think I've still managed to read all of yours ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow, this deck is awesome. Maybe I'll get some money for Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just sometimes straight up ask for decks I'd like as presents, if someone asks me for a hint, yanno?! :D

      Delete
  3. OOH this description of this card (I can't see the card for some reason) makes me think of "a gift of time". It's how we are generous with our time that counts more than our money sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird! She was definitely on there this morning, but had disappeared when I just looked. Anyhow, I've put her back up, hopefully to stay :)

      Yes, being generous with our time, that's a great perspective, Arwen! Ties together traditional Six of Pents notions with this suit of Watches brilliantly :) Making time for others can be so important, to both us and them...

      Delete