Friday, 21 December 2012

Yule Blog Hop

Courtesy of wpclipart.com
Yep, it's that time of year again - Christmas, Hannukah, Yule, depending on your tradition :)  And so, it's time for another Tarot Blog Hop.  As ever, if you haven't already, maybe jump back to Jaymi at a Tarot Inspired Life, or check where you want to go on the Master List, or follow on to the next post by the ever-amazing Christiana Gaudet.

Alison Cross, our generous wrangler this time, gave us the title "Christmas present".  She suggested we go with it wherever it might take us - present as in now, or as in gift, or anything else we could figure.  What came to mind for me is the picture there of a Christmas tree with a star on top and presents around it.  And so, I created a spread based on this - Chloë's Christmas Present Spread.

1) What is the greatest gift I can give this year?
2) What is the greatest gift I can receive this year?
3) What grounds and supports me at this time?
4) What light guides me at this time?

As I have on several other blog hops, I decided to use the Wheel of the Year Tarot (Llewellyn, 2011) which I feel fits these seasonal posts beautifully.

©Caratti & Platano
1) What is the greatest gift I can give this year?  Princess of Cups

The Princess of Cups has a cup full of flowers, and more at her feet.  Even the trees behind her are pink with blossom.  There is an abundance of fragrance here, which could suggest giving that old favourite, perfume. 

However, at a deeper level, what I see in this Princess of Cups is someone open and charming, with a loving and generous attitude.   She is willing to help out, and prioritises peace and harmony.  So, whatever I give, whether  in terms of actual presents, food, or just my company, should be given with generosity and love.

©Caratti & Platano
2) What is the greatest gift I can receive this year?  Four of Pentacles

First impression: jewellery, a nice necklace, maybe :)

Seriously, though, I see here a reminder of the ill-fated Scrooge, and of the relative unimportance of the material gifts offered by this season.  Returning to the previous card, it is far more about the emotion and sharing than about the actual gifts we give or receive.  I am given the chance to be generous with what I have, along the lines of “a pleasure shared is a pleasure doubled.”

©Caratti & Platano
3) What grounds and supports me at this time?  Queen of Pentacles

The Queen of Pentacles is a practical and resourceful lady, quite entrepreneurial.  She nurtures material projects, and is long-sighted.  This suggests, then, that I am supported by having prepared for the season of giving by buying presents early, spreading out the costs. 

I see, too, that staying grounded and making the most of what is to hand should help see me through any difficulties.  For example, the shops are all shut over Christmas, so we’ll have to be organised in shopping before hand, and then make the best of what we have.  I always try to use up all the leftovers from the Christmas roast - making stock and soup, maybe some goose sandwiches, even potato cakes. 

Finally, acting as the “mother” for Christmas - both my Dear One’s family and my own are coming to us - is a role I enjoy.  Yet, having my own mother there is also a support, a second set of hands that I know will always be willing to help :)


©Caratti & Platano
4) What light guides me at this time? Queen of Wands

Huh, another Court card?!  Okay, sociability is definitely called for during this holiday season, which is a forte of the Queen of Wands.  More than that, a willingness to nurture other people’s ideas and beliefs, as well as my own.  For example, I have always celebrated Christmas on the 24th, German-style.  This year, though, we agreed to have Christmas on the 25th, as some of my Dear One’s wider family (an aunt, uncle and two cousins with girlfriends) were meant to come, too.  That didn’t work out, due to health issues.  Still, I shall remember to do something for my Dear One on the 25th, and maybe keep back a few presents for Big Boy to open then, in honour of his English heritage.

Thanks for dropping by here, and I hope you enjoyed this little spread.  Now, why not pop on over to Tarot Trends?  And have a wonderful holiday season!

16 comments:

  1. That's a lovely spread - might give that a birl on Hogmanay when thinking about the New Year!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do, Ali, and fingers crossed you don't get as many Courts as I did ;D
      Cxx

      Delete
  2. Lovely spread and message here :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonkers :) Though I realised I didn't put the layout in *doh* Guess it doesn't really matter, anyway...

      Delete
  3. Great message and fantastic deck choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John, looking forward to popping around to see what delights you have for us, too :)

      Delete
  4. Honey, you have been the quintessential Princess of Cups. Throughout this year, you've been one of the nicest most generous person within the tarot community who made my journey with tarot so meaningful. You were always opened with information, so generous with sharing. Fr all that and more, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Joanna, that's incredibly nice of you to say! Though perhaps it's a case of "takes one to know one" as you are always generous with your information and ideas, too :)

      Delete
  5. Fabulous spread. Definitely going on my list. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arwen. Hope to pop over and see what wisdom you are gifting us with this time, after Big Boy's in bed :)

      Delete
  6. What Joanna said, in particular. I would find that big family hosting job totally overwhelming! And you run, what, three or four Tarot-related blogs, like, all the time! Amazing woman! Love the story, and the sharing. I wonder if my old family tradition of opening one gift on Christmas Eve came from the German side of my family (I was originally a Jacobsmeyer). Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne,

      That does sound like a left-over from the German tradition :) I've always felt a bit weird, as we generally spent Christmas in Germany, but not til late in the month. So, I never saw St. Nikolaus on the 6th of December (the German precursor to Santa Claus), and they don't have him on the 24th. Never believed in him :o

      Delete
  7. Lovely spread, and beautiful message... plenty of things that I can take on board too. Thank you so much - and belated Frohe Weihnacht to you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Alison, and to you! Still hopping my way around to you - hippety hop ;D

      Delete
  8. Great spread, great cards, great reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christiana :) I'm still hopping on round, looking forward to reading your post, too!

      Delete