Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Destruction?

©Clive Barrett
I have to say, this Queen of Wands from the Norse Tarot (Clive Barrett, 2012) is rather dark!

A red-headed woman stands in the foreground of a desolate scene.  All around her, the earth is blackened, the trees are burnt and flames still flicker in small patches, as though hungrily waiting for more fuel.  In the midst of one flaming patch, the Queen of Wands stands, wearing a dusky pink dress and a necklace set with red stones.  In her right hand she holds a spear-pointed wand taller than herself, and her left hand crosses her body to join the right on the staff of the wand.  It is a hard, closed position.

I normally associate this card with someone who has great strength of will, which I see here.  But also with warmth, sensuality and generosity, a nature that encourages enthusiasm and nurtures creativity.  Not something I see in this bleak and lifeless landscape.  Perhaps, though, this is a case of tough love, or of seeds which need fire and fresh earth in order to germinate... In which case, part of her strength would reside in having the ability to wait out the storm, strong in her resolve and her faith that something new and creative will blossom after this wildfire has burnt itself out.

After doing some more advertising yesterday for my Lenormand Workshop, today I really want to finish off the last few slides for my presentations.  I need to get organised, as next week I have another business trip, and so little time for these "outside pursuits" :)

I am grateful for strength of resolve to channel my creativity.

14 comments:

  1. I agree, that landscape is rather harsh for a wands queen :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like these cards which challenge my perceptions, it clarifies what I would do if I ever created my own tarot deck ;)

      Delete
  2. Ah, well you know how I am not fond of the Queen of Wands ...

    For me, this fits pretty well. She is exactly much how I see her. Warmth, but with spikiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I certainly see the spiky here! :)

      Delete
  3. This is kind of how I see the Queen of Wands, anyway. Devil woman! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh come now, how very un-British! Even a devil woman shouldn't be laughed at ;)

      Delete
  4. I love the Norse Tarot and this is such a great card to draw when the ground needs clearing for new projects and/or a new attitude towards projects. Did you know that farmers used to burn fields to remove the debris left by the previous harvest, and to prepare the ground for seeding in the spring?

    What a significant and positive card for your workshop too! Perhaps this is you sharing your skills and creativity with your attendees in a way that sweeps aside all their perceptions about reading with the Lenormand? It looks like you'll not only be guiding, you'll be inspiring people too. I think the Queen of Wands sometimes represents an increase in social activity and popularity so be prepared! :D

    Wishing you much luck and hope to see you posting about the workshop later on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon, really like your perspective. Yes, I was thinking about stories of plants in Australia that can only germinate after a wildfire. But you're right, plenty of farmers set fires to clear the fields, too.

      I certainly hope the workshop will be a sociable and inspiring event for all involved! :)

      Delete
  5. Wow. That's really hardcore. It makes me uncomfortable too. Haha. I'm also a little scared of the Queen of Wands-hating people. :( Oh well. I will try not to take it too personally. :)

    I like Sharon's idea, too. Sometimes burning away the unnecessary is a little bit harsh but necessary in life. We all have to do that from time to time!

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Although I'm officially a Queen of Swords, I've always been drawn to Queen of Wands types. My best friend in Spain is an Aries, and very fiery. I guess that can be scary or off-putting to some, but I'm drawn to the warmth ;)

      And yes, we definitely all need a good clear-out now and again!

      Hugs,
      Cxx

      Delete
  6. I love her. I see her as standing her ground defending her beliefs come-what-may. She is a no-nonsense woman who says, "If you aren't in it to win it, get out of my way."

    I can be her at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you as her, at least sometimes. Standing up for what you believe in, and getting in people's faces, but in a nice way! ;D

      Delete
    2. I do try to be nice but I can be a steamroller when necessary. :D

      Delete
    3. And it is sometimes necessary ;D

      Delete