Sunday, 27 January 2013

Emotional Connections

©Nemo's Locker
For this second day with the Book of Azathoth Tarot (Nemo's Locker, 2012) we have another Cups card.  It makes me realise that there is a unified border for each suit, while the Majors all have individualised borders - another level of detail!  It's also strange, because while the images for the Minors are entirely RWS, the keywords are from the Thoth Tarot...

A swamp creature sits leaning up against a tree, into which he seems to almost blend with his ridgey skin.  The tress appears to have a face looking left from it, and is overhung by somewhat slimey seeming branches.  Meanwhile, our swamp creature sits with arms and legs crossed.  There are three cups standing in front of him, while another is offered by a hand from a cloud, a la RWS.  With his bulgy frog eyes, it's hard to tell if he's looking at the standing cups, or the one being offered up to him - I'd guess the former.

The traditional suggestion of being bored and stuck, not seeing the opportunities for emotional fulfillment being offered us by the universe, is definitely here.  Our swamp beast makes me wonder, though, whether part of the problem is that he feels undeserving of anything good and beautiful.  His arms and legs are crossed, suggesting he himself closes his heart to new possibilities.

My MIL is coming over today to visit, and I wonder how this card relates to that.  It's true that my Dear One sometimes finds her a little hard to connect with, as she tends to tell lots of stories about people we don't know.  Perhaps, though, today there will be an opportunity to grow closer...  I shall keep my eyes open, and try to facilitate it if possible :)

I am grateful for a life full of opportunities.

4 comments:

  1. What is your personal reaction to this deck? I've only seen two images so far here, but I have no attraction to it, myself. Is it gold foil on black?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Carla,

      No, it's actually more yellow on black IRL. As for my reaction to it, there is definitely something disquieting about most of the images, perhaps the Majors more so as they are often very different to RWS and rather scary. I think it will probably be a good deck for shadow work, for accepting the more twisted parts of ourselves and others...

      Cxx

      Delete
  2. Interesting looking deck, this one. In our monthly meet up group, we often look at the RWS in the light of the Thoth keywords. It makes for an absorbing exercise.

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'd never thought of doing that as a specific exercise, I can see how it would be interesting... As for the deck, I think it's one you mentioned on the TABI fb page, you enabler, you ;)

      Delete