Wednesday, 2 January 2013

Girls In Knee Socks?

©Choi & Shina
Carla, of Rowan Tarot, came up with this amusing moniker for the Dreaming Way Tarot (U.S. Games, 2012).  However, as I drew more cards from the deck, I started wondering just how accurate it was...  Being me, I went through the whole deck to find out just how many Girls in Knee Socks there are, and the answer may surprise.

First off, I found three cards where there are women wearing boots around the knee.  Two of them are kind of like UGG boots (the Eight and Page of Swords), while the third is more like leather thigh-highs on the Nine of Cups...  Still, not very sexual or knee-socks-y!

Actual Girls in Knee Socks number only four!

©Choi & Shina
Perhaps part of the reason why they have come to be seen as such a big part of the deck is that three of the four are Majors - the High Priestess (who is also on the box), the Wheel of Fortune, and Temperance.  The final one is the Page of Pentacles.

Those are certainly interesting choices.  Sexualising the most earthy card in the deck (Page of Pents as Earth of Earth).  Also, the High Priestess, who is normally associated with virginity in the sense of being whole unto herself.  And Temperance, who is all about restraint and balance! 

As for the Wheel of Fortune, she makes me think of Sleeping Beauty, which many would say is a very sexual story: going to sleep when she turns 18, only to be woken by a kiss and marry the prince.  Yet, as well as her Knee Socks, she also has wings, and looks pregnant...  Okay, what do you all make of that one?

10 comments:

  1. The pregnant wheel thing confused me too, but I think if you look closely that is actually just her other sleeve hanging, but the artist didn't make the line clear enough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't see that, Bonkers. After all, the "bump" carries on between the wheel's spokes, while her arm is up on the spindle bit. If it were a dangling sleeve, it should be the colour of her undershirt, not the stripes of her dress. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but she definitely looks strangely lumpy! ;)

      Delete
  2. Well, Morgan Greer remains the Stepford Wives Tarot (3 of Cups), Robin Wood is and will always be the Banana Man Tarot, and Dreaming Way is forevermore Girls in Knee Socks Tarot! mwa ha! (I also quite like 'The Jolly Hockeysticks Tarot').

    Now that pregnant Wheel of Fortune is what put me off this deck and why I haven't ordered it. Your blogs have got me interested in it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwa ha! ;) I quite like the Jolly Hockeysticks Tarot, too :D

      Delete
  3. I had an issue with the HP wearing knee socks. When I posted my review Rome Choi was kind enough to comment. The funny thing is this. Never had I considered knee socks sexy. I saw them as the domain of eight-year-olds. Choi assumed I was put off by the socks because they were in some way sexy - I simply saw them as undignified and therefore innapropriate for the HP.
    (My review: http://tarottopics.com/content/dreaming-way-tarot-review)

    Overall I am not fond of this deck - the Page with the teapot on her head is my least favorite. Also the elongated shoes and big hats turn me off. But, as I note in my review, the deck is evocative and a very easy reading deck for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to your review, Christiana, I shall look forward to checking that out :)

      Delete
    2. And I utterly adore the whimsical Page of Cups. Her precarious teapot makes me so happy and reminds me that she is learning how to control her emotions. :D

      Delete
    3. Lovely take on that Page of Cups, Arwen ;)

      Delete
    4. I did see the knee socks as sexy, but then I am acquainted with a chap with a bit of a leg/hosiery fetish. Ooh er, missus.

      Delete