Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Now You See It...

©Dan Donche
Today we have the Magician from the Darkana Tarot (Dan Donche, 2012).

At first glance, he seems more like a stage magician, a sleight-of-hand artist, than a master of manifestation.  And yet, holding cards in his hand to represent the four elements, he reminds us that we can use many different resources, and especially tarot cards, in manifesting our intent.  Though he has glitzy stars around him, and a top hat and tails, he also has glasses to sharpen his vision, and simple tools to work his will, nothing complicated or obvious.

This card reminds me of Derren Brown, who uses simple, psychological ideas to create huge effects.  So, too, we can affect ourselves and our environment with just the words we say to ourselves, for example.

Here's hoping I, or one of my colleagues, can help pull a rabbit out of the hat today, metaphorically speaking.  The meeting we're going to is the continuation of several last year that ended up going round in circles, when not exploding in acrimony.  There are some big personalities, and bigger egos, involved.  I mostly stay quiet, take notes, and try to calm things down when I can.  If things carry on like this, there will be nothing productive to show for a full day of negotiations.  We have a few ideas, though, about things that might help calm the waters.  Wish us luck!

I am grateful for diplomacy.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck Chloe!

    I wasn't so sure if I liked this deck when you began with it, but I do like today and yesterdays cards. Simplistic but effective and the hand of cards is a great idea.

    Hmm. Interesting, the Magician sitting back quietly and helping to control the egos in the room. Quiet magic. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quiet magic ;) I hadn't thought of it quite like that, but I guess there is the sleight of hand aspect - things don't have to be showy to have an effect. My colleague and I spoke more than we have in any of the other meetings, and while the results weren't immediately apparent, I hope our words will have a subtle effect in the long run...

      Delete
  2. Best of lucky today Cloë! Work your QofSw magick with your cool and direct manner!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Krysten,

      You know, I think I did do quite a good QofSw job. A few slightly snarky comments that were sufficiently witty to brings smiles all round and lighten the atmosphere ;)

      Delete
  3. Go get 'em, Chloe--quietly. :D I am torn on the Darkana. Some of it is, well, too dark for my tastes. But there are some stellar cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Arwen,

      Overall, it isn't going to become one of my favourites. And unfortunately, some of the best cards haven't come up in these draws. One friend of mine commented that, in this deck, Death and the Tower were actually her favourite cards (she's normally a Star girl, though she does like that card, too). They have touches of colour in this otherwise dark deck, and are quite striking!

      Delete