Sunday, 6 January 2013

Organisation vs Overwhelm

Oh, what an interesting version of the Ten of Wands from Clive Barrett's self-published Norse Tarot (2012).

A man stands at the bottom of a staircase.  He wears tan trousers, brown shoes, a blue tunic with white trim, and a red cape.  As for those ten wands, he holds them in two tidy bundles of five, one in one arm, the other over the other shoulder.  What a very organised way to deal with those responsibilities and projects!  Still, he is at the bottom of the staircase, and may still have a long way to go.  Even well-stacked wands will grow heavy with time...

What I see here is someone shouldering his responsibilities wisely and with forethought, being organised about what he takes on and how he manages it.  Even so, too much will still be too much.

This card, then, reminds us to be organised in how we deal with the projects and plans in our lives.  It also cautions that, no matter how well we plan things, we may still end up feeling overburdened if we take on too much at one time.

I am generally pretty organised, but the warning that I may, even so, bite off more than I can chew is one I appreciate.  And, it being Sunday, I wonder whether this card recommends I just lay down all the burdens I don't absolutely need to carry today?  After all, work can wait til tomorrow.  The only things I can't avoid today are taking care of Big Boy, and having some neighbours round, given we organised it over a week ago.  Doesn't sound like too much to handle!  And if anyone suggests something more, I shall practice saying "No" :)

I am grateful for permission to forget about business trips, workshops, decks, accounts and all the rest, just for today.

6 comments:

  1. This is a timely reading for me, as well. Even though I don't have nearly as much on my plate as you (and do not want to have!), last night I was working on the little pie charts in Incredible Year 2013, and even meeting my rather modest expectations of myself means pretty much scheduling in my entire day, every day. Funny that, isn't it! It's a good message--even if you've got a plan, you have to able to admit when you've planned too much, set your expectations of yourself too high. I may write that in my own journal today. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear you're whizzing through the planner - I haven't gotten to the pie charts, yet. Though I did skip ahead to the last section - an oracle reading for the year ;)

      Yes, I can just imagine that, given the things you want to do outside of work, you don't have much time to spare. Hope you find a way to balance what you want, what you need, and what you can manage :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, dear me, I'm not whizzing through!! I'm skipping around! Leaving some pages half done, skipping others. I may not finish this thing for months, in fact, I've put it on my calendar pages to go back to the workbook every new moon. In some cases, that may not be for a review but for a 'do'! ;)

      Delete
    3. That still sounds like pretty good going to me (I'm skipping around, too)! And very organised to have put it on your calendar pages to go back to :)

      Delete
  2. I do like this card. He also looks very determined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Cher, Happy New Year!

      You're right, he does look determined - like he'll keep going even when his load starts to weigh him down. Also a good quality when you take on a lot of stuff ;)

      Delete