Saturday, 16 February 2013

Snail's Shell

©Fairchild & Paschkis
This week, I will use the Complete Kit Tarot (Running Press, 2002).  This is a mini-deck, which I found by chance in a little bookstore and couldn't resist, after seeing Magic Mentha blog with it over the years :)  Although RWS-based, it has funny, simplified, minimalist drawings on a black background, and is about the size of a Lenormand deck.

For this first draw, I pulled the Hermit.  Don't you just love this rather Zen character, with his simple green shirt and blue trousers, and the snail shell on his back!  He comes out of his shell to share with others, but always keeps the option to retreat and look inward open.  He seems wise and peaceful, living a simple life.  He stays present, in the moment, in moving or drinking or listening or seeeing.  He doesn't get distracted by busy thoughts, or pretty baubles.  Though he may enjoy the latter, they don't matter to him.

I find this character very appealing.  Like an Indian guru of old, I can imagine that just being in his presence would be restful and yet also uplifting.

Tomorrow we head off on our family holiday, so today would be a good chance to have a bit of quiet time before the craziness of travel.  I shall try to stay calm in the midst of it all, and take a little time to meditate.  Hopefully, if I can maintain my balance, everyone else will, too :)

I am grateful for quiet moments, no matter how fleeting.

8 comments:

  1. Oh! Don't you just love this deck? It's one of my favorites. I'm glad you found it. It's pretty affordable, too!

    I do wish you good travel. I know it can be complicated but I hope it is worth it and you have a good time.

    Much Love,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya MM,

      Yes, it it really cute, and very cheap! Don't know how I resisted it for so long ;)

      Thanks, I hope it'll be good, too. Though BB has a cold, and now it seems my DO and I are coming down with it, too *doh*!

      Much love to you,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. I love this deck too. It has a mysterious little charm. I love the Knight of Cups, if I remember rightly.

    Have a lovely holiday!!

    PLN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PLN, we'll certainly try! Not sure what to make of the Kitty Kahane Tarot you're using. Will reserve judgement til the end of the week ;)
      Cxx

      Delete
  3. Well this is the first that I've seen of this deck. Obviously this means two things. 1. I should be subscribed to Magic Mentha's blog. 2. I need to find this deck because that's a great Hermit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Arwen, good luck finding it, it's a cute and very affordable deck. I think you'd like it - lots of colour and simplicity, yet still plenty to get your teeth into ;)

      Delete
  4. It is rather appealing an image. Simple. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure I'd like it at first, because of the cards being black-based. But they are so colourful :D

      Delete