Friday, 8 February 2013

Tent Pegs

Sideshow Tarot ©Kyle Burles
For our last day with the Sideshow Tarot (Kyle Burles, 2012), we have another card from the suit of Sticks (Wands).

A carnie walks around the outside of a large tent, carrying a bundle with six tent pegs.  A further four pegs are already in the ground, holding the tent in place.  The carnie also carries a large mallet, for driving the pegs into the hard earth.

This image reminds me that the Ten of Sticks/Wands isn't just about burdens, but also about responsibility.  It is hard work setting up the Sideshow tents, but vital to the show, even if the carnies themselves are never seen.  And if the pegs aren't driven in properly, if there aren't enough because the person responsible didn't want to carry more and bang them into place, then the tent could fall and people might get hurt.  With this card, although there is an aspect of knowing when to say no to more jobs, or knowing when to delegate, there is also the need to know when we just have to get on with the job, no matter how onerous.

Today, I have to put some things in place for next week.  Hopefully, it'll be fairly plain sailing, as I don't think I can delegate any of it.  What I can let go of is care of Big Boy, as my mother is coming over.  She'll enjoy playing with him for a bit while I make phone calls and send emails :)

I am grateful for my mother.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla :) My mum enjoyed playing with BB, and also gave me a little massage, and a big hug - definitely grateful for my mother! And also for good friends and virtual hugs :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for a very insightful look at the 10 of Wands. This spoke to me on a level that I truly needed to hear, Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Words of wisdom, Chloe. I especially liked your comment: "This image reminds me that the Ten of Sticks/Wands isn't just about burdens, but also about responsibility." Sometimes the Ten of Wands is telling us to put down some of our burdens, but other times, it certainly tells us that for now, we have the responsibility to finish a task, and do it properly. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Zanna, the responsibility to finish a task properly. Louise on the TABI blog also said, they still have to take down the tent after the show, too!
      Best wishes, Chloë

      Delete