Monday, 4 February 2013

Wheel of Death

Sideshow Tarot ©Kyle Burles
Today's card from the Sideshow Tarot (Kyle Burles, 2012) is one of the (renamed) Majors.  Instead of the Wheel of Fortune, we have the Wheel of Death! :D

A man with a pirate's eyepatch over one eye holds six throwing blades in his left hand, and a small axe in his right.  In the background, a pretty, scantily-dressed woman is attached to a wheel with esoteric symbols on it.  There are already a number of blades around her body, and yet she looks pretty happy with life.

This is an interesting one!  The Wheel of Death is the fortune of these two Sideshow performers.  And yet, not only can the show make more or less money, or be cancelled from the bill entirely, but it can also go horribly wrong in an instant, bringing misfortune instead of fortune.

While the man trusts to his hand-eye co-ordination and his years of experience, making his own fortune, the woman is a pawn, with little she can do but smile and pray.  Though, perhaps, if she saw his hand was shaky, or smelled alcohol on his breath, she would choose not to go on...

Generally, I feel I make a lot of my luck, control a fair bit of my destiny.  And yet, how true is that really?  In some things it certainly is: if I hadn't dared to ask Will Worthington to illustrate the Celtic Lenormand, that would never have happened.  Likewise, if I hadn't emailed US Games, I wouldn't now have a contract with them.  Yet, I couldn't force Will to paint the images, nor US Games to agree to publish them, that was in their hands.  And there are other areas of my life where I feel I have even less control - Big Boy's health being one of them...

I am grateful for the mix of control and surrender that makes up life.

8 comments:

  1. You know, I find this really inspiring. We do make our luck. You have made your luck. Opportunities are out there, but they rarely come knocking on your door. You gotta be in it to win it, yeah? I have been so impressed with how you have shaped your destiny in precent projects. We either chuck the knives or we lay out on that wheel, hope for the best, and lay our belief in the talent of others. I like the interaction between the two characters in this card, as you explain in your experiences.

    Great post Chloe. And well done with all you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya PLN,

      Glad you found this inspiring. I'm definitely not saying we have absolute control, but it is a bit that "don't ask, don't get" thing, too. Hope you will dare to go out there and give what you truly want a go!

      Cxx

      Delete
  2. it really is good to remember that life in necessarily a mix. i don't know what's more frustrating...trying to control things you cannot, or letting things happen to you or pass you by because you think you cannot control/influence them when in fact you can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good questions, Bonkers! Hope you give something a go, trust to your own power :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with PLN - inspirational post! I'm so pleased that you went for it and are now able to gift the world with this deck. The mix between fate and free will is what makes life interesting. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Lisa. Is that "interesting" as in the Chinese proverb about "beware of living in interesting times"? I'll admit, though, overall I think I'm a glass half full person. Even when there's crap we can't control, there are always good things we can strive for, too :)

      Delete
  4. You're awesome. I love it when you take chances! Great example for us all. Much love to you.
    XOX,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MM. Hope you don't let things stop you going for your dreams, too!
      XOXO,
      Chloë

      Delete