Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Balanced Tarot Blog Hop

Balance Spread
Once again, it's Tarot Blog Hop time!  If you hopped in from the delights at Ania's, welcome.  And please consider following the links around, either backwards or forwards (for the next post, check out the link at the bottom of the page).  And if you get lost along the way, here's the master list.

For this Spring Equinox/Ostara round, our wrangler is Morgan Drake Eckstein.  He set the topic as one of balance and ambivalence, as this is the time when, if you don't live near the equator, hours of day and night are almost equal (if you live near the equator that's true all year round).

One of the things Morgan suggested we could look at is the way cards can be read both positively and negatively.  This made me think of a couple of cards that are generally seen as "negative" and how they could be positives.  For example, Death generally represents something that we mourn or grieve, an ending that isn't easy.  However, it's possible for it to show up for a marriage, as we bid our days of being young, free and single goodbye.  As some people point out, every time we say yes to one thing, we also say no to other options.  And even if we're happy with our choice, we may still mourn the doors that have closed to us.

DruidCraft Tarot
The Tower is another card which I can't help but see in a mainly negative light.  It has come up for me often when big changes were afoot, and I can't say I've ever enjoyed the experience!  Yet, it's probably true that if I could be unattached to the outcome, as yogic philosophy advocates, then I might more easily have accepted that these were simply changes, neither good nor bad.  And it's also true that change always brings potential for growth, for new ways of being...

To try to find a more balanced perspective, I decided to design a little spread, and draw cards from my ultra-trimmed DruidCraft Tarot (Connections, 2004).

1) Where in my life do I need balance?
2) What is the light side of this?
3) What is the dark side of this?
4) How can I balance these?

©P & S Carr-Gomm, & W. Worthington
1) Where in my life do I need balance? - Two of Pentacles

Ha, that one hits the spot!  I need to get more balance in trying to juggle so many projects.  Being a double Gemini, I'm a reasonably good multi-tasker.  Still, there are only so many hours in the day...

Thinking about it, I have four main areas that I juggle.  Two of those, though, are things which I can't put down: being a mother and my day job.  Which leaves two others which I've been trying to squeeze into the spare hours in between: divination and psychotherapy.  Of course, there are a number of sub-projects within those!  For example, in divination I include blogging, professional readings, workshops, and deck creation.  In psychotherapy, there are client work and study.  So, those two pentacles are a little more complex than they seem.

I notice the stormy sea behind her.  This juggling acts takes its toll, especially when there are emotional storms going on in the background.  Can I really keep all these things going, and will I be able to do them all justice if I do?

©P & S Carr-Gomm, & W. Worthington
2) What is the light side of this? - Ace of Swords

The positive in all of this is that I'm never short of an idea.  Like the sword rising from the lake, ideas spring forth from my subconscious.  Of course, they always need polishing, and if I do nothing with them then they simply sink below the waters again, but at least they are there.

It's not something I've always particularly noticed.  Recently, though, I was talking with a couple of friends and fellow bloggers, Alison Cross of This Game of Thrones, and Emma Sunerton-Burl of Intuitive Psychic.  They remarked on the fact that I blog daily, which I kind of take for granted.  I love blogging, and so I hadn't really thought about the fact that I always find something to write about.  Likewise, my problem in terms of deck creation is more about having too many ideas, rather than not being able to think of what to do (I have seven other ideas in various stages of preparation lined up behind the Celtic Lenormand).  Even with the psychotherapy side of things where I feel less inspired, after my first dissertation protocol was rejected I came up with another plan (though I haven't yet submitted it). 

Ideas, then, are the light side of all this juggling - it inspires me, and there are lots of plans I would like to bring out into the light of day. 

©P & S Carr-Gomm, & W. Worthington
3) What is the dark side of this? - XI - Justice

On the less happy side, this card tells me that I need to do some assessing now.  I realise more and more that I cannot do Justice to all these projects, much though I would love to.  Something has to give! 

Lady Justice (or Athena, in this case), suggests it's time to weigh up the pros and cons of these various pursuits, and decide what I most value.  She says to take a long hard look at all that has happened so far, and then turn my perspective to the future.  What will I carry forward?  What is in my best interests right now?  How can I best weather that storm in the background of the Two of Pentacles?

©P & S Carr-Gomm, & W. Worthington
4) How can I balance these? - XVI - The Tower

How ironic!  Having mentioned the ambivalence of the Tower and given my personal history with it (for example, see my Stalker Card Reading), here I am faced with it as a positive, balancing force.

What I first saw with this card is that I need to let go of my rigid ideas, all those "shoulds" and "musts".  I feel I "should finish what I've started", that I "must seek official recognition of what I do", that I "should be helping others through a respected profession".  At the moment, though, I definitely don't feel as inspired by writing a Masters dissertation as I do about any of my divination projects!  Perhaps this card implies that the time has come to knock down the ivory tower of academia, to say enough is enough and turn my focus elsewhere...

On the other hand, maybe this is about not getting stuck in rigid ideas of what I must do, in terms of how to do the dissertation (the reviewers who rejected my first draft were rather narrow-minded).  Talking it over with a friend, they suggested I should talk to a different tutor at my college, try to get some feedback and a fresh perspective on the question.  Things have been rather hard the last few months, and that has sapped my energy and enthusiasm.  Perhaps if I don't feel quite so hemmed in by what I "can't" do, I will refind some of my enthusiasm.  I know that when I feel inspired, I have a lot more energy, and that would certainly help with the balancing act!

I hope you've enjoyed this Balance Spread, and that you'll give it a go.  And I also invite you to carry on round the Blog Hop: next stop is with the ever joyful Arwen at Tarot By Arwen.

14 comments:

  1. Some interesting pairings - the two of pentacles and Justice both refer to balance (the scales of Justice), while the Ace of Swords and the Tower are about new ways of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ania, that's an interesting perspective I hadn't noticed :)

      Delete
  2. I love the 2 of Pentacles showing up in position 1. Clever Tarot! Great spread, Chloe. I'll give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I thought it was funny, too :) Hope you do give it a go, Zanna, though it looks like you're building a wishlist of speads right now ;D

      Delete
  3. We definitely shared a brain on this blog hop, Chloe. Great spread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Will pop over to yours, now. Still, even the mini-reading you did for me echoed so many of the things I said here!

      Delete
  4. Great spread - and great reading! Cannot wait to hear what your other projects are, Chloe!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can just figure out Photoshop, one of them is at the "make-it-happen" stage :) However, I'm put in mind of the TABI reading and the Princess of Pentacles - big learning curve there...
      Cxx

      Delete
  5. You did draw the turtle/tortoise Hermit card earlier in the week — a very much "in your own time" kind of image :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Nion :) Maybe I've just needed this quiet time. Still, I hope I can get myself off my a**e soon :)

      Delete
  6. Loving these spreads offered within the Tarot Blog Hop. Great topic for me at this moment. Gray areas are increasingly apparent at this moment. Lots of decisions of what to leave behind and what to take forth in my journey this month. Great spread, great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cher, glad you enjoyed the post and spread. Sounds like there's a lot of potential, if you have all those decisions to make :) Will look forward to seeing where you decide to go!

      Delete
  7. Geeeeze! Chloe, the coincidence of the 2 of pentacles and the Tower's appearance is really interesting. It's hitting you on the head a wee bit eh?

    ReplyDelete