Thursday, 28 March 2013

Body-Mind-Spirit Spread TLC'd

Tarot of the Absurd and Mini Under the Roses
After Monday's reading on combining tarot cards in Lenormand houses, I thought I'd try out a spread using this technique.  Starting off with a basic, tarot-style Body-Mind-Spirit Spread, I combined the Tarot of the Absurd (Jessica Shanahan, 2012) with the Mini Under the Roses Lenormand (Hurteau & Hill, 2012).

The positions on the bottom line are Body-Mind-Spirit, with a TLC pairing above for the Message from the Cards.

©Hurteau & Hill ©Jessica Shanahan
Body - Five of Sticks (Wands) in the House of the Stars

Yikes, look at all that fighting!  Sticks brandished in every direction...  And in the House of the Stars, which can suggest hope and guidance, but also plans, things that spread, technology and night time.  Plenty to choose from there :)

A couple of different messages come through to me from this.  Firstly, there is the continued/continual fight against the spread of germs.  I love to cuddle Big Boy, but he is an absolute germ (and snot) factory.  So, I'm still fighting sinusitis, which I thought had gone, but which has come back a bit.  The Stars can also link to the hope I have of relief - my beloved neti pot ;)

Secondly, there is the nightly battle with exhaustion, as Big Boy still rarely sleeps through - maybe once a month.  Last night, he woke a few times in the evening, then had me up from 3am to 4am. After that I was still on tenterhooks, and at 5.45am he got up for the day...

Thirdly, there is the struggle with myself, as I attempt to lose a bit of weight (a couple of kilos is all, that's maybe four pounds for you non-metric folk).  I'm trying to follow a plan - daylight fasts twice a week.  When I'm tired, though, fasting becomes ten times harder.  And when I'm feeling emotionally down, chocolate calls to me - a siren song of temptation - and all my plans go out the window :(

Under the Roses + Tarot of the Absurd
Mind - Knight of Sticks (Wands) in the House of Clover

In many ways I am a fan both of the energy and verve of the Knight of Sticks, and of the happiness and opportunities offered by the Clover.  However, combining them in the position of Mind, I'm not sure it bodes particularly well.

Just look at that Knight, so much dynamism as he aims his bow, so much movement to his position, and that of his steed.  And yet, he's pointing straight up in the sky - not gonna hit much, except maybe himself when his arrow comes back down!

The Knight of Sticks has a tendency to shoot off after whatever takes his fancy, but that can change from moment to moment.  And the Clover is a card of opportunities, of sparkly things that catch our eye and offer us some brief happiness.  Neither, though, has any staying power.

Just yesterday, I got going on the presentation for my workshop at the UK Tarot Conference, which I'm really looking forward to.  (The programme is now up on the webpage, if you want to see all the delights on offer that weekend!)  And that led me to an exciting new idea, which I hope will come to fruition later this year.  However, my mother reminded me that I'd better finish a couple of the projects I already have going before charging off after this new notion, and she's quite right!  My mind would happily chase off after each new opportunity, so I need to find ways to rein it in, to keep that energy focused on what I have to do, not what I might like today.

Under the Roses + Tarot of the Absurd
Spirit - Two of Blades (Swords) in the House of the Letter

Bah, with all that conflict, sickness and exhaustion at a physical level and my mind racing off in different directions at every new thought, it's no wonder my spirit is at cross-purposes with itself.  In fact, a bit of a standstill might be quite the thing, taking a step back to assess the different ideas, maybe write about them, as the Letter could suggest...

Still, what I also see in this TLC House is the message that this stuckness is quite superficial (the Letter again): I know what I need to do, deep down.  Doesn't mean it'll be easy, but at least the necessary direction is there for the taking.

I need to look after my health, to eat more consciously and put in place alternate strategies to help me with that.  Return to my knitting after dinner, for instance, which I haven't done for months.  And I need to write a list of deadlines for my various projects, and then WORK ON THEM IN THAT ORDER!

Under the Roses + Tarot of the Absurd
Message from the Cards - Ten of Cups in the House of the Fox

This card combo reminds me that the idea of the perfect, happy family is deceptive like the trickster Fox.  There really is no such thing.  Happiness and love take a lot of hard work, and keeping a family balanced and well sometimes requires trusting your instincts (yes, you Foxy!), and working to survive (another Fox attribute).  How does that connect with all the other cards?  Well, a pointed message that I have to work for what I want, and that in real life things aren't all happy-clappy and easy.

This puts me in mind of the Dr. Seuss book, "Oh, the places you'll go!"  We can kid ourselves that everything will always work out for the best, but that is only true if we accept that "the best" includes a lot of tough life lessons.  Sometimes, things just fall in our laps.  Often times, though, even when it seems that way we have done a lot of work in the background for that to happen.

Happiness and fulfillment are possible, but getting to that place can take effort.  It takes seeking joy every day, as Arwen is fond of reminding us.  And it takes being willing to put in the work for what we want to achieve.  No quick fixes here, I'm afraid, but still a powerful reading.

Combining the tarot and Lenormand meanings added depth and nuance to this reading, as well as confirmation of a particular interpretation in some instances.  I hope some of you may give this technique a go, and I'd love to hear about it if you do!

10 comments:

  1. Seeking joy isn't for sissies! :D Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, not quite as catchy as "Seek Joy, Y'All!", I still like "Seeking Joy isn't for sissies!" :D

      Delete
  2. Wow, while I've been busy swinging from the Tree of Life, you've been playing around with some complex innovations using tarot and Lennies. It's been so long since I looked at a Lenormand, I don't even recall all the meanings anymore. ha ha. Maybe I should haul one out and have a go. But ... I'm so stupidly in love with Thoth now, I don't want to. Isn't that unbelievable?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta follow your passion! And maybe one day you'll pull out a Lennie again, or find the perfect one to read with the Thoth... ;)

      Delete
  3. Your Knight of Wands energy is a great contrast to my Prince of Swords. According to Thoth, my date of birth means Prince of Swords is my birth card...and I have to admit, he does fit me. According to 'Book of Thoth', he represents Air of Air, the monkey mind of Buddhism. 'There are demonstrations of the powers of the mind without definite purpose,' write s Crowley. 'He is full of ideas and designs which tumble over each other. He is a mass of fine ideals unrelated to practical effort...He wanders from one cult or one vice to another, always brilliantly supporting with the fanaticism of a fixed conviction what is actually no more than the whim of the moment.' To be honest, that sounds just like me! I may need to do a blog entry about this chap. :) I think I keep drawing the Knight of Wands in order to balance this Prince of Swords.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, I don't see you flitting from cult to cult and from vice to vice! Still, I get the monkey mind thing. According to the Thoth, I'm King of Swords, which I've never really resonated with - I'd much rather be the Queen of Swords. Maybe if I read his bit in detail I'd 'fess up to my KS...

      Good luck with that balancing act, and I'll look forward to reading what you write about that Prince of Swords :)

      Delete
    2. I've always identified with Queen of Swords, too! As you know. :) The thing in the Crowley description that I thought was accurate was 'a mass of fine ideals unrelated to practical effort' and wandering from one thing to the next, getting rather fanatical about it (like, oh I don't know--Thoth? Exercise? (thought that phase has passed!) Indian cookery?--but these things actually turn out to be 'no more than the whim of the moment.' :)

      Delete
    3. Ha ha, well, at least you recognise those things in yourself. Wonder how long the Thoth-affair will last... As for Indian cookery, curries are just so good! :D

      Delete
  4. Nice! I'm going to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to hearing how it goes for you, Pepi :D

      Delete