Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Clarification

I'm very excited to have been asked to speak at the Tenth Anniversary of the UK Tarot Conference!  I'm to be the new up-and-coming unknown person that Kim Arnold likes to find every year :)  There will be some wonderful Lenormand offerings over the course of the weekend, including the eminent and eloquent Caitlín Matthews (she of hundreds of decks and books)!  So, when Kim asked me what I could talk about, after panicking a bit I thought I should do something a little non-traditional.  "How about combining tarot and Lenormand?" I asked, and she agreed.

A while back, I did a reading with the Lenormand using a tarot-type spread (something which many German authors do).  More recently, I did a mixed deck reading combining tarot and Lenormand in a single spread.  Still, I feel the need to explore different ways of using these two systems together.  What do I need to know about doing so?  Well, I decided to ask the Lenormand, and then clarify that answer by drawing on the tarot afterwards.

I drew three cards from the White Owl Lenormand (AGM-Urania, 2008) asking what I need to know about combining Lenormand and tarot, and then brain-stormed a couple of interpretations:

©Fiechter

a) Cutting ties leads to a sense of homecoming - breaking with the traditional rules of each individual system will feel natural.

b) Promised harvest comes with stability - sticking to the old separation will be more beneficial.

©Bayliss & Battersby
So, two quite different interpretations based on the card's keywords.  Could the tarot clarify?  I pulled a card for each interpretation from the Simply Deep Tarot (Schiffer, 2012).

For the first, I drew the Four of Cups, which suggests that breaking with the established rules, with old ways of seeing, will help open my eyes to new possibilities, and a potential for wonderful discoveries :)

©Bayliss & Battersby
What of the second interpretation?  There, the card I pulled was the Eight of Swords.  This echoes the idea that staying within old, limiting ways of thinking is a trap.  It might feel safe, but it is restricting and not really in my best interests.

I think this experiment worked quite nicely.  My intuition told me that the first interpretation of the Lenormand reading was the one that chimed with me.  The tarot cards simply confirmed that, and were quite unified in their message - both cards are about not seeing things unless we are willing to look in new places, or remove the restrictions our own preconceptions place on us.

Guess I'll be playing around with combining the tarot and Lenormand a fair bit over the coming months ;)

16 comments:

  1. Can't wait! This is going to be fantabulous! Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I'm delighted for the opportunity :) Mwah!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Emma! Should be fun (if I make it through the panic) :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi PLN, yep, I was over the moon when I got the email asking me :)

      Delete
  4. Cool!

    Undoubtedly you'll do an amazing job. Hope you have fun with it.

    I like the reading--makes sense to me.

    OXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya MM,

      Thanks, I'll certainly try: both to do a good job and to have fun in the process - and make it fun for everyone attending, too!

      Glad the reading makes sense to you, I thought it was great the way the tarot confirmed my intuitive reading of the Lenormand :)

      XOXO,
      Chloë

      Delete
  5. I'm very excited to see this in your blog. I'm fascinated by the combination and can't wait to see what you come up with. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'll be testing things out on this blog, so you'll get plenty of opportunity :)

      Delete
  6. When will you be speaking? I can't make Friday, only the weekend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I just found out this morning that things have been swapped around and I'll have the early Friday afternoon slot :( I think that's better for a big name, to encourage people to actually rock up early. I'm aware enough to know I'm not a big draw :/

      Delete
    2. Aww, shucks! Well, I'm sure it will be great! Maybe you could save me a handout. :D

      Delete
    3. Well, I'm also now thinking I might expand the material to do a whole afternoon workshop on the topic at some other times/locations. There's certainly plenty of fun stuff there. So, you may get another chance anyhow :)

      Delete