Thursday, 21 March 2013

Competing Views

©Kim Krans
On this Thursday we meet a rather bleak-feeling card from the Wild Unknown Tarot (Kim Krans, 2012).

In this version of the Five of Wands we see five black branches scattered about the card.  Shaded lines spread out from either side of the branches, making them seem like the tops or bottoms of ridges or troughs.  The card corners are also full black, the darkness encroaching. 

What I see here is a number of counterpoints.  Like people standing up for their opinion, and influencing the area around them until they bump up against the next project or opinion :) In that way, it seems possible to link this card to traditional interpretations of competition.

I am reminded today that coming up against other people's views can be a way for us to be challenged, to grow and learn.  It's not necessarily a comfortable experience.  Still, it may give us that push we need to get things done.  I hope that will be the case today as I try to finish rewriting my dissertation protocol.  Wish me luck!

I am grateful for people who challenge me to think and write.

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea of opinions bumping into one another. That reminds me that it's okay to let my path adjust because of someone else's. :D Neither has to be wrong...just course adjustments. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great perspective, Arwen: course adjustments :D And if they make us run full tilt, that may be a good thing, too ;)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I didn't do much yesterday, but today I really promise myself to get my finger out!

      Delete
  3. I thought for a minute you said "I am grateful for people who challenge me to think and whine." and I did a double-take and had to read on!

    This is what comes of being tired and skimming 'round the Internet.

    I LOVE this deck. Can't afford it as usual but I am really fond of drawn decks and black and white decks. I suppose this is a mix of black and white and colour but I like it.

    Nice to see you using it Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JJ,

      It is a gorgeous deck. Maybe for your birthday or some other occasion...?

      I hope I don't whine too often, and it's true that bumping up against other people's ideas does sometimes draw that out of me. Still, I hope I can turn it around to something more productive ;)

      Delete