Sunday, 31 March 2013

Cutting Through

©Betty Lopez & Napo
Today we have another man in brown from the Napo Tarot (US Games, 1998).

This time, it is the Page of Swords who comes slicing towards us, brandishing what looks more like a dagger than a sword.  His outfit is reminiscent of the costumes in a film noir, dapper with its white scarf and trilby.  And there is something almost Picasso-esque about the lines that cut across both him and the strange landscape around him. 

It's as though the surroundings, and even the Page himself,  are unformed.  They need to be seen and processed by the Page's mind before becoming real.

An interesting perspective on perception and the power of the mind, which fits well with the Page.  He hasn't yet quite figured out what to do with all the information coming in, but cobbles it together as best he can, learning and polishing his understanding as he goes.  Of course, the film noir feel would also fit with traditional interpretations of this Page as a sneak and a spy...

Ah, perception!  I know it's true that how we respond to situations is strongly influenced by how we perceive them.  Whether we see the world through rose-tinted glasses or something rather darker affects how we manage whatever life throws at us.  And yet, it can be hard to change our lenses, even when we become aware of them.

For me, it is sometimes all too easy to focus on the negative: on Big Boy's disabilities and health issues.  Today, I shall try to see things from a new perspective, to find the good and the joyous in each moment I have with him.

I am grateful for my beautiful family, and for joyous cuddles.

12 comments:

  1. I have this deck! What I like about this card are the layers of colour. How they intermingle to form a whole, and yet in those shapes there is a sharpness, the whole stance of the Page is an aggressive one. His sword held high ready to strike.

    I sort of think when I see this card like you that thoughts are splintered, they are there as a whole and yet each part of them is individual. I see this Page as cutting his way through those thoughts, so that they may become more clear to him. This is the first step to thinking things through or cutting away to seeing things more clearly.

    Look at those colours in this card, the Page himself is dressed in brown, a colour of stability or groundedness. He is surrounded by greens, blues, pink and purple with that flash of white in the centre. What he is trying to sort out here it seems to me, is away to expand and grow (green) with the aid of reflection (blue) and a little self love (pink) in order to arrive at a place of self knowledge (purple) which results in illumination (white) . And white being in the middle also shows how that process of reflection needs to come from within in order to create all this.

    This Page is just learning how to handle his thoughts and use what his discovers to make his way in the world.

    He is a number 11 card which breaks down to 2 the number of balance, duality , etc. This Page seems to tell me that he's trying to strike the balance between his thoughts and his emotions - the pink in the card is shown on both sides. along with the blue and the green.

    The way he swings that sword really does enhance your interpretation, he is cutting his way clear to be able to view things in a fresh and new light.

    Just my two pennith worth - although it seems a bit more like a quids worth LOL I hope you don't mind. It's such a long time since I took this deck out and looked at it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen,

      I always love your perceptive comments! Lovely colour analysis there, as well as use of numerology - you add so many insights :)

      Cx

      Delete
  2. Well, to add the ridiculous to the sublime, how about one of my random song associations:

    Oh, the shark has pretty teeth, dear
    And he shows 'em, pearly white
    Just a jack knife has Macheath, dear
    And he keeps it, keeps it way out of sight

    When that shark bites with his teeth, dear
    Scarlet billows, they begin to spread
    Fancy white gloves though has Macheath, dear
    So there's rarely, never one trace of red

    On the sidewalk, one Sunday mornin'
    Lies a body oozin' life
    Someone's sneaking 'round the corner
    Could that someone, perhaps, perchance, be Mack the Knife?

    etc...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEllHMWkXEU

    (Love Bobby Darin, ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies, I've been on a Godfather kick this weekend, reading the Puzo novel and yesterday we watched The Godfather and Godfather II back to back.

      Luca Brasi sleeps widda fishes.

      Delete
    2. Love it! I'm a big fan of big band music :) I take it that song was in the film then (remember, I'm a Godfather virgin!)

      Delete
    3. No it's not in the film...but it's gangster-ish. :)

      Delete
    4. I guess I was watching movies while you were learning all the major European languages. ;)

      Delete
    5. Yep, that song is definitely gangsterish! :D

      As for the languages, reminder to self, don't write interview answers when feeling defensive. While it's true, a smattering isn't all that much, and it probably came off really obnoxious :( It was largely because we always had au pairs when I was growing up...

      Delete
    6. What interview? What came off obnoxious? ??? Where is this? I was just talking about the fact that you actually speak lots of languages -- and I've seen a lot of movies. I just watched Citizen Kane again this morning. :D

      Delete
    7. Oh, it's in the latest TABI Ezine, available on the forum as of last Friday (hence my assumption...) I was talking about why Lenormand appealed to me (the whole semantic way of reading) and how that speaks to the linguist in me. Anyhow, there are exclusive colour images in there, too, not yet seen anywhere else! :)

      Delete
  3. I do not have this deck. Not sure that I want it but it is interesting to look at. With the white of the knife and the white of the scarf, it almost looks connected somehow...I mean the knife and the scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting point, Arwen. The scarf is round his neck, his throat chakra even, connected with speech, which is another association of the suit of swords. He can cut with his voice, as it is an extension and expression of his mind and perception...

      Delete