Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Gismo

Last night, our cat died.  It was incredibly sudden and shocking: one minute he was sitting on my Dear One's lap on the sofa next to me being petted.  Then, he shot half way across the room, made a few choking noises, and was gone.  We each responded very differently to it (I'm an airy Gemini, he's a fiery Saggitarius).  I went into crazy overthinking (where's the closest vet, are they open at 10pm, is it worth going to the vet with him now, how could we check his heartbeat without a stethoscope, do we have a small mirror to place over his mouth, could he have something stuck in his throat, where should we store his body).  Meanwhile, my Dear One was much clearer (let's just get his cat box and store him somewhere cool and comfortable) yet also more emotional, crying and raging.  I don't think he could understand why I wasn't in tears, though I ended up crying in bed at 5 in the morning, unable to get back to sleep.  I was also the one to tell Big Boy, though I'm not sure how much he understands the concept of death.

One of the things that my mind went to was those big, philosophical, spiritual questions around death.  My Dear One said something about Gismo becoming a star (he was named by the American family he was first with, we gave him a new home when they moved back to the States and couldn't take him along).  My own ideas are somewhat different and sometimes as confused as my racing thoughts.  Although I am creating the Celtic Lenormand deck, I don't feel that we need any particular kind of deck to look at spiritual questions.  It's just that, with art by Will Worthington and an interesting theme, it's a deck I'd like to have :)  Anyhow, I had no compunction about using the childlike minimalism of my Kindergarten Lenormand to ask the question: what happens to souls after physical death?

Key, Cross, Lily, Woman, Stars
What this line says to me is that all religious and spiritual answers (Key + Cross) to this question can bring a form of peace (Lily) to the asker.  However, to find my own clarity (Woman + Stars), I also need to be guided to my own answer (Key + Stars), and honour my own spiritual beliefs (Cross + Lady).  That answer is that we find peace by returning to the Universal Spirit (Key + Lily + Stars).  What happens after we rejoin that Universal Spirit is perhaps best left for another day.

I take comfort in this, and wish Gismo peace.

24 comments:

  1. Inner Whispers, you're in my thoughts at this difficult time. I have shared my life with many cats over the years and it's always so hard when they pass on, no matter whether it is expected or sudden. My cat Gizmo is now 16, and I know it may not be too long before we have to let him go. Your reading was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zanna,
      May you and Gizmo have many good times together, still! My childhood cat lived to the ripe old age of 22, and is still much missed!

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about Gismo. I had a cat who died unexpectedly several years ago and it was awful. I hope your spread gave you a little comfort x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia,

      Yes, it's funny, the spread did give me some comfort. So many nice cards in there - the Key, the Stars, and the Lily at the centre of it all: peace! Sorry to hear you went through an unexpected death, too, really hard :(
      Cx

      Delete
  3. Oh, Chloë!

    I'm so sorry about Gismo's sudden death. That sounds really shocking. Thank you for sharing your experience even though it's obviously difficult.

    Sending you love and peace,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MM! It was awfully shocking. I'd seen him wandering along the wall at the back of our garden - over 2 metres high - just that afternoon!

      Anyhow, peace and love to you, too, and to him :)
      Cxx

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about Gismo, Chloe. *big hugs* Beautiful reading! I hope it brought you comfort <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa! So hard to lose him, after his brother went last year. He seems to leave a bigger hole, as now there are no cat tails waving jauntily in the living room :( Still, the reading did bring me some comfort, thinking of him at peace :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful reading for a very deep question. And such a shock to the system to have Gismo go so quickly like that. I've helped a number of cats transition over the years; never gets easier. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne! It was a shock - sudden death is hard because we take a while to catch up, I think. And no, each is hard in their own way. Hugs to you, too :)

      Delete
  6. I am so very sorry for your loss. I feel your pain. We have a 19 year old and she's always having hairball issues. I would have been crying until 5 am, along side you. What a beautiful reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa,
      Gismo's brother used to get dreadfull hairballs (they're very furry cats!) Not the most fun in the world, but he was still such a sweetie! Wishing you good times with your furry friend :)

      Delete
  7. oh dear :[ much sympathy, losing a pet is difficult indeed. I'm sure you guys made his life a lovely one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And he ours :) Thanks for the sympathy!

      Delete
  8. I am so sorry to read about Gismo. But what a beautiful cat he was. I love the photo. So handsome. He'll always be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was handsome! Though he sometimes got skin issues, so we used to give him a "lion cut" once a year to let his skin air - and he looked rather hilarious then, a bit like a poodle or chihuahua ;) Lots of memories :)

      Delete
  9. Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss, sending you much healing energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liz, much appreciated! It'll take a while for the hole he has left to heal...

      Delete
  10. So sorry to hear about Gismo. Sending loving and light energy and prayers for peace, release, comfort and ease for all concerned. Love, light and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jean. I take comfort from the fact he didn't suffer. Love, light and blessings to you, too!

      Delete
  11. I am so sorry to hear about Gismo :( thinking of you and sending lots of hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Caroline! We'll miss him lots :( Hugs to you, too, Cxx

      Delete
  12. Sorry for your loss.

    Regarding the spread. In the only 2 times that I have read about deceased persons, Lillies were also the center cards. Coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the commiserations, Roskis.

      Very interesting that the Lilies appeared for you twice. As well as the European association with funerals, the Lenormand keyword of peace does seem very appropriate!

      Delete