Thursday, 14 March 2013

Godfather

©Roveda & Gabriella
For some reason, today's card from the Law of Attraction Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2011) makes me think of Marlon Brando in the Godfather!

This King of Wands is an older man, sitting back in an armchair, only partially lit by a standing lamp at his side.  Smoke rises in front of him, and he looks relaxed and yet very aware.  Behind him, large windows give onto a woodland scene, and there are bookcases filled with leather-bound tomes off to one side.

I normally think of the King of Wands as rather more dynamic than this.  And yet, in our modern world, you don't need to be racing around to be active and get lots done.  Perhaps, Godfather-like, he is pulling strings both on stage and behind the scenes.  Or maybe there is a computer on a desk on the other side of the room, from which he manages a business empire :)

Enchantment and empowerment, myth and modernity, whimsy and wisdom, all can mingle creatively and dynamically.  One good example I saw recently is Arwen's new Fairytale Spreads ebook, with illustrations by Lisa Hunt.  While I'm not sure I see Arwen as a King of Wands, certainly she has the passion and drive he shows, as well as the creativity.  Perhaps it's my gender biases that lead me to see her as a Queen of Wands, though I think it's more the fact that she has so much empathy and focus on others thrown into all that energy and drive :)

What, then, does the King of Wands suggest today?  That we set a goal and go for it, perhaps.  That we be willing to take the lead on a project that inspires us.  That we make tough calls for the good of what we value.

I'm not sure I feel the kind of leadership I see in the King of Wands.  Still, I've been getting going on a few things that I really believe in recently, gearing up for speaking at the UK Tarot Conference, working on the Celtic Lenormand.  Perhaps what I need to focus on today is getting myself out there a bit more, charismatic King of Wands-style.  Several of us on Facebook have been talking about social networking: I think it's time I signed up to Hootsuite and got a move on!

I am grateful for the passion I feel for many of the projects in my life, and the drive to share that with others.

6 comments:

  1. You are a busy and dynamic lady and your passion for tarot comes through in every post.
    Btw what is Hootsuite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Krysten,

      I do try to keep busy ;) Hootsuite is a programme for scheduling your social networking presence. As I understand it, you can have several profiles and schedule tweets and facebook status updates and such...

      Delete
  2. Like this idea of not having to be physically doing stuff to be 'active', and the pulling strings idea. Food for thought :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to provide you with a snack, then ;D

      Delete
  3. Chloe, thanks so much for the shout out about the book. :D I hope you have fun diving into it. With your background the book should prove to be interesting. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Arwen. As you say, these spreads are right up my alley :)

      Delete