Friday, 1 March 2013

Ritual Magic

©Bayless & Battersby
For our last day with the aptly named Simply Deep Tarot (Schiffer, 2012) we have another Major: the Magician.

A somewhat androgynous figure sits at a wooden table with hir back to us.  In front of them are an athame, a pen, a book of spells, a lit candle, a glass with some water, a smoking stick of incense in a burner, and a plate with what might be earth, or cookie crumbs ;)  To hir right are an orange flower in a green vase, and a small bowl of crystals, while under the table to hir left is a bonsai tree in fruit.  The figure wears a dark blue hooded robe decorated with pentacles.  This is a far more everyday, pagan representation of a magick worker than the traditional RWS image.  The elements are represented in a more primal form than with the suit instruments, and the pen and alternatively named 'Best Life Spell' book are a nod to the importance of journaling and spell casting.

I love the fact that, while the mundane is very present on the table and below it, above it we see a colourfully glittering starscape.  Spirit and wonder above, grounded, practical reality below, united around the figure of the Magician.

This card, though colourful and playful, very clearly speaks to the archetype of the Magician.  It focuses both on manifesting our will and on bringing spirit into the world.

What I see in today's card is firstly the fact that I am finally beginning to feel productive and creative again.  It seems like I've just been scraping by for the last month or so, but this morning (well, in the early hours) Big Boy woke me (he's ill again), and afterwards I couldn't sleep because I started thinking about several projects that had deadlines round about now.  So, though I could do with more sleep, I'm glad that I'm finally getting back into the swing of things. 

The second thing I see here is that it's a good day for a ritual.  My Dear One and I have been planning to do one together for the last couple of weeks, so today we'll design and hopefully perform it. 

I am grateful for feeling alive again.

2 comments:

  1. Oohhh...a ritual. Very cool. I have been using my spell cards (Lucy Cavendish) a lot lately, mostly as thought-provoking ideas. The spells are pretty convoluted and specific, but I could always do modified versions of them.

    Thinking of you--hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      Well, we didn't end up doing it til Saturday, but it was lovely. And I've enjoyed your spell card posts - they're pretty :)

      Sending you warm hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete