Friday, 15 March 2013

Tug of War

©Roveda & Gabriella
For our last day with the Law of Attraction Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2011), we have a card of which woley wrote a few years back in her review of this deck: "someone had too much sun before doing this one" ;D

I have to agree that, at first glance, this looks more like a scene from Spring Breakers or Baywatch (depending on your frame of reference) than like the Queen of Swords.  Two scantily-clad young women on a beach play tug-of-war with a short rope.  It's a beautiful day, with the sun shining through light clouds.  The redhead, whose expression we can see, looks very intent. 

Trying to dig a little deeper, we could see both figures as aspects of the Queen.  That would suggest she wrestles with ideas and tries to look at both sides of any question :)  Still, this doesn't really give a sense of the sharpness of wit or the deep empathy that I normally associate with this archetype. 

I guess another thing that the two figures might suggest is the more socially oriented side of the Queen of Swords.  She is not as isolated and as determined to be in the right as the King, making her more open to an exchange of ideas.  Altogether, not my favourite card in the deck, but I can work with it ;)

I finally contacted my college last night about getting an extension on my dissertation.  Maybe I need to get on with some reading, finish the protocol, and calculate some kind of timeline and strategy for getting it done if they give me the extension - good swords-y pursuits :D

I am grateful for a logical mind.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I dropped by and saw this! I was about to make a comment on this card and then I saw you quoted me.

    NOW, I really like your idea of the tug of war between aspects of this Queen. This is my prototypical card so I understand that. It also suggests the way she seemingly tugs or wrestles other people, when in fact she is playing a game and showing her light hearted approach.

    I enjoyed your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JJ,

      Lovely you dropped by just today :D As I say, your comment really made me laugh! Glad you like this perspective, too, though :)

      Delete
  2. I could see this as a cups or maybe wands card, and probably a page...totally do not see queen of swords here at all, even after reading your post :0

    hope you get that extension!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to admit, my first thought was Page of Wands or Pentacles.

      As for the extension, turns out I didn't need it. There was an error on my student card, and I actually have a year longer than I thought to do it - yay! Still, the tutor also said I could probably get an extension if I needed it, too - something to keep in mind if I'm in a state next year :/

      Delete