Monday, 29 April 2013

Barbecue

By Moore, Pastorello & Ariganello
Another very unusual card greets us from the Book of Shadows Tarot: So Below (Lo Scarabeo, 2013).

Here we have the King of Pentacles, yet I'm not quite sure which figure to take as the King.  Overall, I think I'll go for the guy in the blue jacket and yellow jumper.  He's talking with the neighbours over the fence, and seems like he might be inviting them to come and join the barbecue he and his friends are having. 

That's the kind of generosity and practicality I associate with the King of Pentacles.  He likes to enjoy good food and the rest of life's comforts, but is also very aware of his responsibilities to those around him, too.  So, while on the one hand it seems strange to have other figures on the card rather than just the King, it does also make sense.

Likewise, it seems appropriate to the deck's theme of bringing tarot archetypes into the everyday that we see the King of Pentacles living in a nice suburban house, and creating a pleasant environment for the celebration taking place.  He is just the type to make sure there is plenty of good food and a convivial atmosphere, and to be sure to keep the neighbours on side, too.

It is my Dear One I see in this card more than myself.  He's always thinking of ways to improve the house and garden, and happy to lend the lawn mower to the guy next door or help out putting up shelves and so on.  While these are traits I admire, I associate myself more with the Page and Queen of this suit, not the King.  Perhaps, then, what this card suggests is that I tell my Dear One just how much I value him.

I am grateful for a sensible, practical person to balance me.

4 comments:

  1. A lovely representation of the King of Pentacles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit suprised by it at first, but it's definitely grown on me :)

      Delete
  2. I love the inviting nature of this King. All seem to be welcome at his BBQ! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after the initial shock I rather like that there are other people on the card with him :)

      Delete