Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Fairytale Princess

©Betty Sanchez & Napo
Today's card from the Napo Tarot (US Games, 1998) is another Major: Fortitude, normally called Strength.

It's interesting, because the Spanish title, La Fuerza, can be used for force or even coercion, as well as strength.  Whereas Fortitude is defined as "courage in pain or adversity", which is a rather lovely variant on Strength!

As for the image, the woman's dress reminds me of something worn by a fairytale princess.  Though the lemniscate on her head has morphed into some kind of light-emitting, pointy hat!  Maybe that's to represent her connection with the eternal, and the illumination that brings...  Behind her are jaggedy, snow-topped mountains, while the lion at her side seems quite fierce - just look at those teeth!  And yet, rather than just resting a hand on his muzzle, she seems to be almost prying his jaws apart.  All without sullying her dress ;) 

Being willing to face the mess and danger of life shows a certain kind of strength, especially when a lot of that mess comes from within ourselves: our desires fighting with our ideas about how things should be, for instance.  And there's plenty of external mess that requires fortitude, too.

Today, my Dear One and I were supposed to be spending the afternoon with Big Boy.  However, DO has now organised other things, leaving us on our own.  So, is this the Strength I'll need to deal with a sick and crabby child by myself, or the Strength not to strangle him for changing plans on us last minute?  Either way, I could do with it!

I am grateful for the reminder that I can face the trials of life with a gentle and loving demeanour.

4 comments:

  1. I'm thinking it's a bit of both, with an extra dash of option two!! My card of the day makes reference to paying up what is owed...watch out when you settle up that you don't let Mr Big horn in on the deal like the people in my card have done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the second part has got me all riled up. Had to do a long breathing meditation this morning to let it go and be able to get back to sleep after a very long night with BB (up from 2am til 7am *doh*)

      Will pop over to see your card - the Cosmic Tarot is certainly a fun one :)

      Delete
  2. And maybe it is the strength to speak your truth about plans being made then changed. That is a huge button of mine. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, not sure I managed that as well as I should have: I said it to someone else, but with him there, and he stuck to our original plan in the end...

      Delete