Monday, 8 April 2013

Good Boy

©Emily Carding
For our third day with the Simple Wisdom of the Household Dog (Schiffer, 2012), we have 'Good Boy'.

Albus Dumbledog sits on a rock, a misty, cloudy sky behind him.  He looks happy, with himself and the world.  And why not, after all his humans just called him a good boy! 

Oh, the power of validation!  I've written before about how important it is to feel connected, part of a web of community.  Think how kids seek attention: even being told off is better than being ignored.  And how much better to be accepted and valued!

Of course, I now also have Alanis Morissette's Perfect running round my head ;)

That song makes me sad, though, highlighting as it does how some people are conditional in their love.  There's a line: "Be a good boy, try a little harder, you've got to measure up, and make me prouder."  I believe my Dear One and I generally avoid that kind of attitude.  Today, Big Boy's physio and occupational therapist are coming for a home visit, and I think we'll all be telling him what a good boy he is :D  Hopefully, they will also recognise our arguments about why we still need some of the equipment they provide for him, even if he doesn't use it at school anymore... Dang cuts!

I am grateful for giving and receiving love.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you manage to persuade them to let you hold on to the equipment. Also, was glad to read back and see in your comments that he had a good time at the show yesterday :) Definitely sounds like a win to me.

    Interesting cards. Lovely photographs of the dog. Sometimes, I find cards with animals actually easier to understand than those with humans in. It's as if having our own species in a card can sometimes create a block; but you find a chemistry or mutual understanding somewhere in between species with animals. Does that make sense? I get that with the Wolf Pack and the animals in the Wildwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we didn't manage to persuade them, but at least I understand their arguments a little better, now. And they may give us something else instead (that costs 1/100th as much!)

      Totally agree with you that there can be a powerful understanding between species. Maybe because, we don't make as many snap judgements about them, because they are more "other"... :)

      Delete
    2. " Maybe because, we don't make as many snap judgements about them, because they are more "other"... :)"

      Are yes, that does make sense about not making snap judgements. It's funny, because until you mentioned it, I didn't realise I was doing it. But I can see that I often to.

      Delete
    3. I probably recognise it cos I'm a fine one for making them, too ;) It's a human survival skill, but it can also be limiting.

      Delete