Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Headstand

By Moore, Pastorello & Ariganello
Today's card from the Book of Shadows Tarot: So Below (Lo Scarabeo, 2013) delights me!

It was, I think, in Rachel Pollack's 78 Degrees of Wisdom that I first read the association of the Hanged Man to doing sirsasana (headstand).  Straight away, as a then yoga-teacher, it chimed with me. 

While I've never seen the aspect of sacrifice in practising yoga, certainly there is a large element of discipline.  And as this image suggests, it is a wonderful way to take some time out of our everyday existence and gain a different perspective on life. 

In this image, I love that she is practising in a beautiful, light space, with candles and very minimalistic and natural decorations - very sattvic :)  The blue of her clothes suggests the visudda (throat) chakra.  As with the Hanged Man's associations to Odin, what she learns through her practice she will bring back into the world.

As for me, the first thing this card says is that today is a good day for a longer yoga practice!  I also wonder about the aspect of enforced stillness that I often associate with the Hanged Man.  There are a couple of things that I'm working on which don't seem to be going anywhere fast.  Sometimes, though, things just need to develop in their own time...

I am grateful for the joys that yoga brings to my life.

6 comments:

  1. The only inverted poses I ever do are down dog, plow and standing forward bend. I really hate inversions and in any case, cannot do a headstand! :) Inverted poses give me a headache and make my nose stop up.

    Hope you enjoy your yoga practice today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, for some reason I've always loved headstand. Well, I used to love all kinds of arm balances, but my wrists don't love them :( I don't tend to practice yoga when I have a cold, for precisely the reasons you give, but the rest of the time I do. I'm not sure I can feel all the benefits they claim for inversions, but I like the idea of declogging my legs...

      Delete
  2. A lovely post and card! I like the blue against the warm yellow background. Going within with the blue and bodywork with the warm colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maggie. You're right, I hadn't thought of it in those terms, but the warm, earthy colours are perfect for bodywork, for grounding ourselves through our body :D

      Delete
  3. Wowza. This reminds me that I need to try some yoga. Preferably not this pose to start, though.

    I hope everyone in your household is feeling miles better!!

    Hope you had an enjoyable yoga practice!

    Much Love,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya MM,

      Yes, this isn't a pose I'd recommend for beginners :) I had a lovely practice, thank you! And everyone is doing pretty well, overall. Hope you're good, too, back to blogging soon ;)

      Much love,
      Cxx

      Delete