Thursday, 23 May 2013

All Tied Up

By Leo Tang
For today's card from the Tarot of the Magical Forest (Lo Scarabeo, 2008), we have another Swords card.  That means another cute kitty in dire straits :)

A sweet, grey tabby plays Puss-in-boots, yet she doesn't seem strong, defiant or smart.  Instead, she is bound by a thick, white ribbon that wraps around her eyes and the top of her arms.  Behind her, eight swords bar the way towards a castle in the distance.  The sky above her is a gentle pink that is echoed in kitty's ears, nose and mouth.  However, the land around her is barren and grey.

The pink sky suggests love, yet our puss cannot see it due to the ribbon over her eyes, though the ribbon would fall off if she'd just move.   And she is blocked from the security of the castle by those pesky swords, which of course she could walk around if she freed herself from her ties.

I'm not quite sure why, but when I saw this card today I heard a song from a Canadian pop singer from the Eighties, Roch Voisine.  As I remember it, one of the lyrics went "I'm all tied up, dying but I'm feeling fine".  Just googled it, and it's actually All Wired Up, but my sense of the lyrics was right, and preempted Maroon 5's One More Night by nearly three decades ;)  What this may be trying to say is that not only are these restrictions of our own making, but there is something comfortable or even pleasurable about them.  Like saying "I can't do that" and even though there's a part of us that regrets the inability, there's another part that is dancing with glee: I can't do that means I don't have to challenge myself or put myself on the spot.

For me today, I think this is about eating.  I tell myself that giving up chocolate is too hard when I have so many other stressors in my life.  And yet, eating chocolate is also a stressor, leaving me feeling fat and weak-willed.  On the other hand, I didn't eat chocolate for most of 2011, so I know I can do it...

I am grateful for the people around me encouraging me towards healthier patterns.

4 comments:

  1. Precisely, 8 of Swords is like the story of my life! ha :) But, I've now gone two days without chocolate. I've eaten a heck of a lot of raisins, but we have to do these things in baby steps, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you! I tend to reach for dates rather than raisins. I also like alpro soy chocolate puddings, not sure where they fall on the spectrum of evil ;D There's a bit of me wishes I could solve everything through exercise - if working out three hours a day meant I'd be slim, I'd gladly do it. However, I know that, for me, the food part of the equation is my real sticking point...

      Delete
  2. I was just going to say what Carla said. This card and I are sympatico right now! lol For me, the food, the exercise, the healthy habits or unhealthy habits as the case may be are just symptoms of the mind thing I have going on. But then, that's this card, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, yes, that is this card! Hope you find your way out of those ties that bind. Maybe it starts with self-love, and creating new patterns, believing you can escape that trap...

      Delete