Wednesday, 1 May 2013

Beltane Blog Hop

©Holly DeFount
It’s that time again, time for another trip around the world on the Tarot Blog Hop train!  You may have jumped in from the ever creative Sharon *waves enthusiastically* or just popped in for a gander.  All are welcome :D And if you lose your way at some point, hop on over to the Master List.

On this beautiful Beltane day, our wrangler, the joy-seeking Arwen, asked us what traditions are important in how we read Tarot.  Now, there’s a question! 

My first impulse was to say that tradition isn’t very important to me.  For instance, back when I was a child in the 70’s my mother had an original Rider Waite that she kept wrapped in a silk scarf, inside a wooden box.  She never let anyone else touch her cards, and she always laid a Celtic Cross when she had a question.  Perhaps, though, that’s why she gave up reading the cards - too many restrictions which didn’t actually suit her.

My cards are housed in bags of a variety of materials, chosen because I like the design, or just because that was what I found at the time when I got the deck.  I like bags because they are easy to open and don’t get damaged by repeated use, like the sometimes flimsy cardboard boxes decks come in.  They’re also less cumbersome than wooden boxes!  Practicality, rather than tradition, rules my choices.  Likewise, I choose spreads based on the question, rather than taking a “one size fits all” approach and using the Celtic Cross.

And yet, there are things that I always do with my decks.  There is the somewhat complex procedure of going through the entire pack (including organising the cards by suit and number if they don’t come that way), then shuffling them and going through them again out of order to see how easily I recognise each card.  Or the far simpler practice of doing a daily draw.  Simple or complex, there are plenty of things which an outsider might name as my traditions if they were to watch me in my dealings with decks.

One thing which has become a tradition for me is to create a spread for these blog hops, and so I came up with this quick reading, for which I drew two cards from the DruidCraft Tarot (Connections, 2004).

DruidCraft Tarot
What does tradition mean to me?  XV - Cernunnos  (The Devil)

Oh my, yes!  At first glance, tradition is something I see as binding me against my will, as placing heavy restrictions on me.  I see it as something that can weaken me, making me do things I don’t want to do.  It is something that creates pathways we follow without awareness, without stopping to question why - like the couple asleep in the grass, unaware of what is happening around them, sleeping through life.

And yet, Cernunnos is also a fertility God.  If we accept his guidance, if we consciously choose that path...

DruidCraft Tarot
How can I best honour tradition?  IV - The Lord (The Emperor)

Ah, DruidCraft, how wise!  Here we have the Lord, someone who makes his own rules, and then sticks to them.  He decides what he feels is right, taking the good from the past and mixing it with what he has found to work in the present.  I notice the fact that he wears a helm with horns which echo Cernunnos’.  He chooses with awareness, rather than having something imposed on him by a shadowy figure in the background.

This brings me back to awareness.  I honour traditions that I choose, that I practice and in so doing make my own :)

Here’s hoping you enjoyed this little spread, and that you might give it a quick whirl.  And I also invite you to hop on over to US Games' blog, where we're bound to be delighted by a variety of wondeful cards and ideas!

28 comments:

  1. The Devil and the Emperor is a very powerful combination. I am like you in that I balk at what seem to be hidebound traditions but then I realize...yes, I do have my own and I am as hidebound to them as the next. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there's all this "I'm a rebel, these rules don't make sense" and then I realise "my way" has become pretty rule-bound, too ;)

      Delete
  2. Great spread and what appropriate cards! I am not in the blog hop but I've posted about Beltane, too: http://www.rowantarot.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/beltane-and-new-day.html

    Hope you have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla,

      Yes, I was pretty delighted with these cards, including the visual echoes between them! And I loved your suggestion for a Beltane ritual, I plan to do it this morning :)

      Delete
  3. Love this deck! And the idea that we can follow tradition, but with awareness :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, for me, awareness really is key!

      Delete
  4. I like your views on the Devil and tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm not sure a different Devil card would have given me quite the same insight. I really appreciate that this one shows people sleeping, it's such a great metaphor! :) Not that I'm hidebound to one deck, as I'm sure I'd have gotten something important from any other deck, too :D

      Delete
  5. I love the idea of creating one's own traditions, and I do that. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing it's something we all do, whether we acknowledge it or not. Our generation, though, may do it more consciously than others in the past... :)

      Delete
  6. Great reading and interpretation. We all have both cards inside of us--we just need to use their messages to our advantage. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, John! We have all the cards inside us, and just have to figure out how to use their messages to empower us :)

      Delete
  7. Great reading and spread. Enjoyed that post. I particularly liked to read about the traditions you use and the ones you don't. Great connections to both cards!

    I always loved that Cernunnos card. I remember a reading when I first got the deck, involving him and The Lovers card. A few other people and I spoke in length about the cards relating to a situation. It was where my fondness for the Druidcraft began.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      Glad you liked me admitting to my own quirky traditions ;)

      It's funny, the connection between Cernunnos and the Lovers is so obvious, and yet seeing the Emperor and Cernunnos together I realised the connections between these two, as well. There are just so many layers to this deck - love it! :)

      Delete
  8. Nice job on the Beltane spread!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great reading and interpretation. I totally agree, tradition can sometimes be binding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved what you said about the history of it, though, Cher. It's good to understand where the tradition comes from, then we can better grasp whether its a binding we will choose to accept :)

      Delete
  10. I am so glad you did a reading, and so blown away by the cards you received. Why, after all these years, do readings still amaze and amuse me so much?
    I guess that is part of our shared community tradition - to be continuously amazed and amused by tarot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's definitely part of the joy and tradition of tarot, Christiane. I was laughing out loud as I saw these cards, they just seemed so perfect!

      Delete
  11. I like this spread, and will be trying that later. The cards did seem to be perfect! Like you, I tend to use (or design) spreads that fit the question; can't remember the last time I used the Celtic Cross. I also love keeping cards in bags, each one special in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you do try the spread, Alison. As I say, I was delighted by the results :) And yes, each bag is special in its own way! Even the ones I have knitted myself, though some more experienced knitters might say what I do barely deserves that name :D

      Delete
  12. I really enjoyed this post - and the spread! It's so lovely to see the DruidCraft is such a popular deck! So, when do we get to see the knitted bags?!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I still adore the DruidCraft, these many years later. As for the knitting, I posted a couple back here: http://innerwhisperscouk.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/knitting Still, haven't updated for nearly a year, now, and I've made several since. Perhaps I'll go take pics of them all. They have improved a bit... :)
      Cxx

      Delete
  13. I, too, prefer bags now, although I have two wooden boxes from the past. Just makes the decks more accessible. I love the two cards you got with all the parallels! Made for a very integrated reading. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanne, I did love the synchronicities between these cards. And funny to see several of us used this deck - an oldie but a goodie :)

      Delete