Monday, 13 May 2013

Flouncy Sleeves

By W. Crane & E. Fitzgerald
On this Monday morning, who should we meet but the King of Cups from the Harmonious Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2005).

Strangely, we find him in a rural landscape wearing an extremely flouncy-sleeved orange shirt and green trousers.  On top of that, he holds a wand in his right hand!  Yet, looking deeper, this is the King if Cups: he holds a blue and gold cup in his left hand, has a golden cup pendant on his chain of office, another golden cup on a blue shield on the stomach of his shirt, and a throne upholstered in pale blue behind him.

What to make of these somewhat contradictory symbols?  The wand he holds has a fleur de lys at the top, connecting this to the Lily card in Lenormand, and to the Kings of France.  In the Lenormand system, the Lily is connected to the King of Spades (which correlates to Swords in tarot).  Still, the Lily represents a benevolent older man, and harmony.  Both of those certainly link well with the King of Cups, who tries to keep emotions calm (his own and those of the people around him). 

The blue around his cups, crown and throne speak of the waters of emotion, yet these do not predominate.  He has a certain fieriness to him (as a King, and shown by the orange shirt), and yet is also practical (green trousers): he doesn't let emotion get on top of him.

Today, I have a lot I need to get on with.  Some of that is to do with trying to organise doctor's appointments for Big Boy.  After much deliberation, we are considering an operation which was recommended several years ago.  We had hoped he might grow out of the problem, but if anything it is worse now.  Despite the negative side effects, we may go ahead with it.  As you can imagine, it's quite an emotional subject for me, so I shall try to keep my practical streak to the fore, and seek harmony in my communications with medical professionals...

I am grateful for the NHS.

10 comments:

  1. (hug)...oh dear! So, so sorry about the health stresses. It is mother's day still here and I want to sincerely wish you a happy mother's day. If anyone deserves kudos and support it is you! Hoping that the operation goes well if he has it, and it helps alleviate some issues.

    Much Love,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MM, and happy (belated) Mother's day to you, too! So far it turns out it's harder to get a referral than I thought, so I shall be working on that tomorrow. Still, today was productive, if only in finding out what I need to do next.

      Much love,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely deck, and I really like this King of Cups. He seems more involved than many I see. I think I am just liking that he is standing up. Makes a change. I see the power of him in you here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean about his upright posture :) Though with that belt and his hip tilted, I see him more as a dandy than a powerhouse... Looks like he's ready to drink and dance :D

      Delete
  3. Healing thoughts <3

    As for the card... it makes sense that a King of Cups would hold a wand as well as a cup... He is Fire of Water. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa :)

      Yeah, the wand/fire association I did get, but the green leggings and orange shirt really surprised me! Still, just took a look at the original RWS, and he had a red top to his crown and a green cape. So, these more growthful, earthy associations are traditional, if somewhat harder to place... :)

      Delete
  4. Orange is a color of the belly chakra so I can see this being a color for emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, Arwen. It's funny, the different associations that can be made to colours... :)

      Delete
  5. Huggles. The flouncy sleeves can help with the hugging. Imagine someone hugging that King of Cups around the waist. When his arms go around you, you get a blanky thrown in for free. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious! I like the imagery, and will imagine myself huggled :) Cx

      Delete