Friday, 3 May 2013

Narcissus

By Moore, Pastorello & Ariganello
For this final day with the Book of Shadows Tarot: So Below (Lo Scarabeo, 2013), we have another Court card.

This time, it is the Knave (Page) of Cups.  He reminds me of the tale of Narcissus, sitting gazing down at his handsome reflection in a pool of water.

Still, hopefully our Knave will learn something of benefit through this introspection.  At its best, it can help us understand ourselves and our emotions better.  And via empathy that allows us - like our young, emotional friend here - to become better equipped to form relationships with others, too.
  
By Moore, Pastorello & Ariganello
Yesterday, looking at this card and thinking about the Courts, I went back through the whole deck, as I thought I remembered something strange.  And I most certainly did!  So, here are a few comments more generally about this deck.

One interesting thing about the Court cards is that each suit covers the life of one character.  The suits of Chalices and Pentacles show a young man in the Knave, him slightly older and more mature in the Knight, him with a woman in the Queen, and him with a mixed group of people in the King.


By Moore, Pastorello & Ariganello
Likewise, in the traditionally more active/male suits we have a woman throughout.  Wands and Swords have a girl/woman on her own in the Knave and Knight cards, two women in the Queen cards, and a woman in a mixed group on the King cards.

All this is part of the fact that this is a very female-centric deck!  Exactly half the cards show a woman on her own (including most of the Majors, other than cards like the Lovers).  Only four cards show a man on his own...  You guessed it: the Knaves and Knights of Chalices and Pentacles!

By Moore, Pastorello & Ariganello
Six cards show just a woman's hand/s, and five of those also show elemental beings.  Seven cards show a man and a woman: not always a couple, as one is a woman indoors and the mailman coming to her door ;)  A further seven cards show a group of two or more women, and fifteen cards have a mixed group on them.

So, while this is definitely a deck that shows the magical side of everyday life, it does it very largely from a female perspective.

I am grateful for the reminder to take some time examining my emotions.

8 comments:

  1. It's an interesting deck and I've enjoyed reading you interp for the above card.
    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen, glad you liked it. I'm liking this deck more and more :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't been so keen on the artwork for this deck so far (maybe because it jars so much with the first one) but I do like this Knight and Page. Very lovely colours, which go nicely with the border colour.

    I also like the idea of the same character. A bit like how the same characters flow through The Gay Tarot minors. Nice touch. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      Yes, I can't imagine reading with the two together, they seem miles apart. Still, I like each on its own merits, and would be more likely to read with this one than the first, which has more of an esoteric focus, and a steeper learning curve ;)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I can see that. I think I preferred the art style on the other, even though wasn't so into the gnomes and fairies. However, this one is growing on me. I think it is those greens and blues on the Queen of Cups that I like. Much more to play with as a reading deck.

      Delete
    3. It's been interesting to see this deck, but it is safe to ssay I don't want either As Above (which I tried to love) or So Below (to which I can say no).

      (I've been reading too much of Emily Carding's Tarot of the Sidhe book!)

      Delete
    4. Nothing wrong with rhyming couplets, nor with knowing your own mind :)

      Delete
    5. And yes, PLN, the use of colour is very interesting in this one, and it is far more readable :)

      Delete