Monday, 20 May 2013

Sad Kitty

By Leo Tang
Today's card from the Tarot of the Magical Forest (Lo Scarabeo, 2008) is the Six of Swords.  In this deck, as in the Mibramig Magical Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2013), each suit has a type of animal associated with it.  Though here in the Magical Forest, these animals are simpler and more recognisable, if still somewhat unusual for traditional elemental associations.  For instance, in the Wands cards we have frogs, Cups show white rabbits, Swords are cats, and in the Pentacles we see foxes.

The Six of Swords shows a cat in a red cloak poling a boat across a stretch of water.  In the boat are two more cat figures, one hidden under a cloak, suggestive of a mother and kitten.  In front of them, six spindly swords stick up, their tips buried in the bottom of the boat.  As for the waters, they are a calm turquoise in front and to the left of the boat, a choppy purple to the right and back.

All very traditional, then, suggesting moving to calmer waters after a time of difficulty.  I like the little touches such as the poling cat's cape, suggestive of dynamic action, and the mother cat's cloak, which is almost shroud-like, covering all but her tail.  When we go through a period of hardship, it can help to have a bit of protection and comfort, as well as someone to help us move beyond the difficulties.

Really hope that I'll be moving past the problems of the last week now.  Unless Big Boy has a huge coughing fit in the next couple of hours, he'll be going to school, which will be a massive relief.  As for protection and comfort, I see those in having some time to exercise today :)

I am grateful for habits which support me in hard times.

12 comments:

  1. I like that the card is traditional. The covering on the mother cat reminds me of blankets people drape over shock victims. I wonder if the 'pole cat' provided it. I can imagine him draping it over her before setting off. Aww.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is sweet :) As for me, I love the colours, they're a bit strange, but beautiful...

      Delete
  2. I love this deck. It's my go-to deck when I'm really struggling with an issue and wanting a no nonsense answer. I also like that the images are more traditional because I'm still learning, and can recognize the symbolism more easily that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Siddaleah, we're all still learning! You do beautifully with the cards, please don't undermine your strength, intuition and knowledge :)

      Delete
  3. This is a cute deck and one that I have. I liked your interpretation, moving away from one situation and into a better space. The colours in this card indication balance, opportunity, expansion and growth - green. Along with reflection - blue and the wisdom that can be gained from looking inwards to reveal the truth - purple/mauve.

    Notice how the 6 swords stick into the boat, so that you can't quite see the points of them - this is a timely reminder that swords are about thoughts, mental activity etc. It tells us that if you don't see the "point" or the reason for your last situation, and you don't try to understand it, then you may be taking those very same thought patterns to your new destination.

    The blue indicates how reflection into the past can help give you the wisdom - purple, in order to gain the potential of a new beginning.- green.

    The rowing Cat's cloak or red, shows the will power and determination to move away from one situation and into a better place, but the passengers must not hide from what placed them in that situation in the first place. Those old thought patterns (the six swords in the boat) will be taken along with them until they are brave enough to confront and face them for what they are.

    Of course I'm speaking of this card from a psychological point of view, the more mundane could be as simple as literally moving from one place to another - but still remember those swords are travelling with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen,

      I especially love your interpretation of not seeing the "point" and therefore still carrying the same thought patterns forward. Though I fluctuate on this card: they can also be thoughts that we've found useful, lessons that we've learned that will help us as we move on...

      Delete
    2. That's a very valid point! ^__^

      Delete
  4. OMG this is an adorable deck! I'm not familiar with it but will definitely have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa,

      It's funny, being such a blog- and deck-aholic sometimes I can't imagine someone not having heard of a deck ;) This is a lovely one, and very readable. Affordable, too :D

      Delete
  5. Very pretty colors! Purple and green are a nice combination. I guess if you were trying to interpret them in a metaphysical way they could represent the heart chakra and the crown chakra--trusting in your heart and soul! I really value your ability to be present in your mind, body and spirit through many types of challenges.

    I do tend to find this card really does represent things improving, but there is also a sense of weariness and pain--like you've been through the ringer before coming out the other side. It's kinda like the transition from the Tower to the Star. I know you get the Tower a lot.

    Also--I find it means literal travel a lot more than many other cards do.

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MM,

      What a beautiful interpretation! Love what you say about the colours, and it's true what you say about the weariness. As for the literal, though, I didn't actually leave the house on Monday, let alone travel anywhere :o

      Metaphorically moving hugs,
      Chloë

      Delete