Saturday, 4 May 2013

Soul Searching

By Ricardo Minetti & Mara Aghem
Earlier this week, Carla at Rowan Tarot decided to have a deck clear out, and she and I got talking about our "keepers".  Not that I'd get rid of any of my decks (don't worry, my pretties).  Still, it got me thinking about decks I haven't used much in years, but would still count as some of my absolute favourites!  Looking over the blog, I was surprised to realise I haven't used some of those keepers for daily draws :o  And  so this week I'll begin remedying that, starting with the Fey Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2003). 

Following on from yesterday's Knave of Chalices, today we meet the Fey version.  This somewhat androgynous creature looks like a Hindu angel, in his orange robes and with the bindi on his forehead.  In his hands he holds a large, rough clay bowl with a big goldfish peeking out of the waters at him.  He also has three flames rising from the top of his pony-tailed, pointy-eared head, with another gracing his golden armband.

I remember Rachel Pollack saying (in 78 Degrees of Wisdom) that the Page of Cups' fish represents the soul.  Seeking enlightenment, then, our Knave tries to externalise his soul so that he can contemplate its many mysteries.  A pretty perfect description of one way to use the tarot!

That being so, I decided to create a very brief spread based on this card, with just two positions. 

1)  What should I know of my soul in this moment?
2)  What enlightenment can I gain from this knowledge?

If you'd like to see my answers, check back this afternoon...

I am grateful for the wealth of amazing tarot decks in the world.

8 comments:

  1. What a tease! Haha. You aren't going to tell us yet. Ah well. I promised myself I'd get to bed before midnight, so it's just as well. This card is beautiful! I love it. I may have to get this deck sometime.

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! I don't like posts going too long, and not everyone wants to read about my soul-searching, so this seemed like good compromise :) As I say, this is one of my all-time favourite decks, so I'm very biased. Lots of amazing images, and a surprising depth to it...

      Hope you are keeping well, m'dear. Will pop over to your blog later, as we have friends coming for lunch, so I have to tidy and prepare food...

      XOXO,
      Chloë

      Delete
  2. Synchronicity again! I've been into faeries lately as you know, and I was shopping around for a new faery deck and had a look at this one. I'd decided against (Mystic Faerie is so calling to me right now), but it will be nice to see the Fey in action!

    And 'my pretties' have found new homes where they will be very well looked after. As you know yourself!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Given your previous passion for the Harmonious Tarot and other Art Nouveau style decks, I can see why the Mystic Faerie is calling to you. Strangely, I think it's probably my least favourite faery deck, but perhaps you'll change my mind if/when you blog with it ;)

      Ah well, I'm a sucker for taking in strays ;)

      Delete
    2. Why is it your least favourite? And what is your favourite??? (other than Sidhe)

      Delete
    3. I think there was something about the stories attached to the cards - each suit tells a tale - that I found a bit too twee with the Mystic Faerie. As for my favourite, definitely the Sidhe, and then probably this one. I quite like Nathalie Hertz's, too. And Twilight: A Tarot of Faery has a very nice companion book and some quite quirky images. The Mystic Faerie just seems too "pretty" and RWS-y to me. As I say, maybe I've judged it too harshly/hastily...

      Delete
    4. I do like a slightly sinister edge to my faery images. They strike me, not that I know much about them, as being at least a little dangerous! I've looked at that Twilight deck before, may have to get that one at some point!

      Delete
    5. Oh yes, you may HAVE to ;)

      Delete