Sunday, 30 June 2013

Balancing on a Wingtip

How funny, this card came up exactly two weeks ago, in its Black Cats incarnation.  Now we have a very different perspective from the Dream Raven Tarot (Schiffer, 2013).

A little raven in shades of orange, apricot and a hint of lilac stands on a fence post.  He balances a golden pentacle on the top edge of his beak and flaps his wings, perhaps for the joy of it, perhaps to help him keep his balance.  The fence post is part of a fence that stretches off into the distance, with tree-strewn hills in the background and a deep blue sky above.

It's interesting to note that this version, like the one a fortnight ago, has an aspect of balance to it.  While I have often associated this card with practising yoga, the connection is often more symbolic than apparent.  After all, the Page of Pentacle is associated by rank and suit with learning something physical.    And yet, balance also fits nicely with other interpretations: when learning anything new that is practical, physical or related to the material, we have to balance our desire and our ability, our imagination and our actual skill level. 

I also like the interpretation of those flapping wings as being joy, a sign of his delight in this balancing act.  The Knight of Pentacles can be quite serious, whereas I see a lot more playfulness in the Page.

This card, today, makes me think of Big Boy.  We are taking him to a party on a boat, and I think it'll be his first experience of being out on the water.  Which is quite bizarre given how often he's flown, and taken buses, trains and car rides.  He's even been on the back of a bike, and has his own little trike, and loves to watch all forms of transport on YouTube, too!  Yet somehow we've never taken him on a boat.  So, a new experience where he'll have the chance to try out his sea legs (well, river legs) :D  I hope for all our sakes that it's fun, given we'll be stuck on there for four hours, whether he loves or hates it!

I am grateful for new experiences.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you and Big Boy have a great time on the boat. I think I can give this deck a miss...I just prefer my ravens to be black. Also, I don't understand the card's borders. It looks like a borderless image floating above a green background with the bottom of the image chopped off. Is that how it looks in real life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was pretty fun, though more for the people than for the boat. Plus I got sunburned *ouch* As for the borders, yes, that's a pretty accurate description of it. Have to admit, I'd love to see a black raven deck, too. Still, I'm a sucker for colour, and this deck has that in spades, as well as a warm personality...

      Delete
    2. Me 3 for black ravens. Or crows (but not that Crows Magic one).

      After seeing a few more, I don't think this one is for me. The artwork has a childlike style to it that I am not so keen on. But they are uplifting and it is always nice to see different decks.

      Delete
    3. I think I'm just in a mood for bright, cheerful decks at the moment :)

      Delete
  2. I hope your Big Boy will love the boat!! I bet this deck without the borders is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a scarily good idea, Pepi! Big Boy wasn't hugely impressed with the boat, it didn't go fast enough ;)

      Delete