Saturday, 8 June 2013

Dark Star

This week, I wanted to draw from the recently released Fairy Lights Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2013) by Lucia Mattioli.  This is an amazing deck, not your regular cute fairies, but a world of dark and light, fierce and charming creatures.  Many of the cards don't seem particularly Rider Waite Smith-based at first glance, and there are plenty of surprises in here.  Another thing about the deck is that there are always at least two cards that are set in the same landscape, yet they aren't obvious choices.  I have yet to find all the pairings, but it'll be fun to give it a go.

To start us off this week, we have a rather tenebrous Star card (it's darker in the flesh than scanned).  Flowers glimmer from a drab and leafless tree, as a spindly female pours water from two jugs into a still, black pool.  The female has a headdress that seems almost to be made up of fireflies, or of the same glowing flowers and twigs as the tree above her.  And she herself seems to have a furry fishtail, if such is possible!

Despite the strangeness and the murky colouring of the card, I like the way the glows illuminate her from above, and how the water she pours from the jugs enters the black pool in two little glowing patches.  It is like she is bringing light to this somewhat sinister landscape, helped along by the sparks that glow above her.  There may not be some of the traditional symbolism here: no actual stars in the sky; the water simply flows into the pool, not onto the earth; she is not naked and hence vulnerable.  And yet, she seems vulnerable in her spindliness, and in her fish-out-of-water quality.

The message I get from this card is one of spreading the hope you find, and of being attuned to the world around you.  It is in being a part of the world around you that you are able to find your direction, and also to share that with others.

For myself, what I see today is that pouring out my emotions in some tangible way may help me to find a sense of hope.  I have a creative project, totally unrelated to work, which is calling my name...

I am grateful for the beauty of nature.

7 comments:

  1. So much for my birthday idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did order one for myself, though. :) I saw somewhere someone trimmed the side borders so the matching cards are seamless. Have you thought about doing that?

      Delete
    2. Sorry about that, Carla. I'm sure you won't regret it for yourself, either :) As for trimming the cards, I don't have the energy for it right now. They would look good, though...

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! Definitely a deck to watch out for, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so, Erina :) It is a fascinating deck, especially with the paired cards - I posted a video about them, if you're interested...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toebRIiKDdM&feature=youtu.be

      Delete
  3. Now that is a beautiful card. Pity it's darker in real life. I do like the scan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eowyn, don't worry, it's still nice in the flesh :)

      Delete