Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Frenemy

What a very busy version of the Tower this is from the Jolanda Tarot (AGMüller, 2008)!

In the centre is a tall, brick Tower, with flames coming out of the window about halfway up, and a huge snake wrapped all around it.  The snake's head is actually a hindu deity, perhaps Kali, with a single-eyed snake's ruff behind a woman's head.  The female figure has four sets of arms, and her naked breasts seem almost to rest on the lower edge of the card border.  To the left of the Tower is a dark storm cloud with lightning bolts boiling out of it, and a spider with a cross on it's back dangling over a floor of heads.  To the right is a black sun, and a crow with a worm or small snake in its beak.

Kali is a great deity to associate with the Tower, given her moniker: the Destroyer!  Yet, what she is also called is the Goddess of Change.  Destruction does bring change, and though we often resist it, different does not necessarily mean worse, though it may feel that way while we process the shock.

Big Boy is still not better, despite having been assessed by five different doctors in the last three weeks, and despite having taken steroids, nasal spray, analgesics and antibiotics.  So, today we'll traipse to the GP again, in the hope that they will have something else to offer us...  While I wish for change, I also fear it.  In the grand scheme of things, change is neither good nor bad, yet it can certainly feel that way.  On the other hand, maybe the worst thing right now would be no change, remaining in this feeling of stuckness and despair :(

I am grateful for divination, which acts as a support and a distraction.

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear poor Big Boy is not feeling any better. Here is a zap of good thoughts today --- ZAP. There. :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) He's still ill, but has been very sweet today. Probably helped having mummy and daddy to play with...

      Delete
  2. In the past, the Tower was one of those cards that made me feel like something was going to happen to me but over time I learned that it can also represent an energy I'm bringing to other people. Maybe that bolt of lighting is you kicking the medical establishment in the behind to get them moving ;) Kali is also a protector and if I remember correctly, one of her names is mother. There's nothing more protective in this world than a mother watching over her children.

    I'm still working through Mick's 'Astrology for Tarot Readers Course' and he gave me another tale on this card... he says it can sometimes represent an unfamiliar situation, a situation that challenges us because we don't yet have the skills we need to deal with it. I can definitely see that in The Tower. I can relate this to the times in my life when I've had to learn fast from the ground up in order to get things moving quickly.

    Hope you get some satisfaction at the health clinic today and that Big Boy will soon be feeling much better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting points, Sharon. Didn't do much butt-kicking, though I think I have got some things moving on the medical front. As for the skills bit, yep, I can see that, too :)

      Delete
  3. Kali can also be called upon to remove obstacles but be very specific about the obstacle you want removing. Just thought I'd mention it in case it was useful to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the artwork in these cards a lot. Very nice.

    I was thinking about how the snake curls round the Tower like a python curls around it's prey, giving it little options. Ties in with what Sharon says in her first comment.

    Hope things get sorted with BB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PLN. Scary thought, a boa constrictor around our sense of self. Definitely fits, though!

      Delete