Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Exhaustion

Well, this is a far less cheery card from the Osho Zen Tarot (St. Martins Press, 1995).

Here we have the Nine of Fire (Wands) with the keyword, exhaustion.  Instead of the traditional man standing with Nine Wands planted in the ground behind him, ready to take his last stand, we have a far more modern approach to this archetype.  A man in battered clothes, with a haggard face, and something that may still be a bandage wrapped around his head, sits looking disgruntled within the body of a huge machine.  Leviathan-like, the machine has eyes above the man’s head, and a hand below, as well as various knives on pulley arms, bits of connecting wire, and springs.  The man seems trapped in the machine, forced to work beyond what he can manage, yet still he holds on, though he sure doesn’t look happy about it.

The traditional idea of having to push on despite tiredness and injury is definitely here.  But also a kind of exhaustion with the demands of modern life, with feeling disconnected from nature, and having to work at something you may not enjoy, defend something you don’t believe in.

Yesterday had a bit of this feel for me.  Several problems came up that were extremely stressful and are still not fully resolved :(  I guess I'll take this card as encouragement to push on through, despite the red tape and paperwork.  There's no way I can escape the system, so I'll just have to fulfil its requirements.

I am grateful for the ability to read legal documents without getting totally confused.

10 comments:

  1. That is exactly how I feel at the moment!!! It certainly feels rather entrapping. What is the way out??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now, Anthony, that is a HUGE question! I think spending some time in nature is a good start, but beyond that it depends on so many other factors. Good luck finding your path to brighter times :)

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I feel like this today a bit, too!

    Well done on being able to read a legal document. I can't even read a bus timetable without feeling totally confused, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, now that's just fibbing! I've seen you read a bus timetable very well :) Sorry to hear you're having one of these days. I actually sorted a couple of things quite early, and am ignoring the really big thing that just landed in my lap. La-la-la, that'll work, right?!

      Delete
    2. La-la-la can work for years, but then Queen of Wands may rise up to bite you on the bum, so watch out!

      Delete
    3. Well, if I must have my bum bitten, I'd rather her than the Knight of Swords ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm on my first work with thoth decks, beginning with wands, and today was 9 of wands. Amazing difference in intent considering Crowley and Waite were coming from the same place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharyn,

      I have to admit, I still see the similarities. In your post, you said creativity rising and approaching completion, and perhaps that's what we need to get us through that last little push in the RWS versions... :)

      Delete
  4. Oye. This card is a really good representation of exhaustion--more so than the 10 of Wands, even! Having to hang in there despite being bone tired, burnt out, etc. You definitely do seem tired and stressed lately--can hardly blame you.

    Sending you resolution and respite.

    XOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great representation, isn't it! Crushing, dragging tiredness. Ah well, I slept well last night, so that's an improvement.

      Hope you're getting back on your feet, too!
      Hugs,
      Cxx

      Delete