Saturday, 27 July 2013

Fire-Breathing Dragon

This week we're back to tarot, though it's an unusual one from Lo Scarabeo: the Fire Tarot (2011).  All the cards are fiery, making the elemental distinctions between suits rather moot.  And it's what Lo Scarabeo call a 'cultural' deck, with images of people and deities from around the world.

Take today's card, for instance.  Here we have the King of Chalices, showing a Chinese-style dragon spirit emerging from a vase.  The only concession to the wateriness of the suit is the little puddle of water at the base of the vase, and the dragon's two blue whiskers.  Other than that, the symbolism is all fiery.  The dragon is red and breathing fire, the landscape is dry and brown, with some small fires in the distance.

On the one hand, as fire of water I often think of the King of Cups as being a little uncomfortable with his suit.  His emotions run deep, but he isn't always happy about it.  Sometimes, then he needs to let off a little of the steam created by these opposing elements.  In that, I guess he could seem quite fierce, huffing and puffing :)

It's been a bit of a stressful week, between issues raised by Big Boy's carers, and him starting his summer hols.  Next week looks set to be at least as tough, if not more so, as he's going into hospital on Monday, and we've been warned he may have to stay up to three nights.  Plus, I'm expecting more worries from his carers, as we wait for news that may mean restructuring the whole summer schedule and trying to find someone new :(  So, for today, I see this King recommending letting off a little steam :) Something emotionally satisfying that makes me feel powerful, like a kickboxing workout, maybe...

I am grateful for exercise, which helps me work off my emotions.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, I like that.

    I wonder if there are plans for an Earth Tarot, Water Tarot and Air Tarot? Would be nice. I like what I have seen of these cards. Will enjoy seeing what you come up with this week.

    I hope that all goes well with BB and that he stays in hospital as little time as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      I had always hoped there were plans for them, but nothing has appeared in the two years since :( I'm not sure about these cards, they don't really speak to me all that much. As you say, we'll see how the week goes :)

      Thanks for the well-wishes for BB :)

      Delete