Saturday, 6 July 2013

Playfulness

This week's deck is another of those that I suddenly realised I'd never blogged with, because it was one of the first I ever got.  Still, it's a deck that has stood the test of time, with beautiful, interesting imagery, and a buddhist take on life: the Osho Zen Tarot (St. Martins Press, 1995).  The deck's concept was created by Bagwan Shree Rajneesh, later called Osho, and was painted by Ma Deva Padma, who later also did the Tao Oracle, a beautiful depiction of the I Ching.

In this deck, the suits are titled fire (Wands), water (Cups), clouds (Swords) and rainbows (Pentacles), and each card also has a word or short phrase to describe it.  Here we have the Page of Fire (Wands), titled Playfulness :)

A figure wearing a diaphanous, rainbow-hued clown outfit over a unitard dances towards the right side of the card.  Her head is thrown back, and her arms stretch out, disappearing in bright sparkles.  Her expression under the clown make-up looks joyous. 

I love the keyword of Playfulness, mixed with the imagery.  This Page may be clowning around, but she's also passionately moved by what she's doing.  Yet, instead of simple intensity, there is also a light-heartedness to her attitude.  She is open to trying new things, unafraid of looking silly, delighting in whatever experience life offers her.

Part of my plan for the day is to go dancing with faeries.  So, I shall try to adopt this Page's outlook and dive into the experience.  Hopefully, we'll be far enough from 'human civilisation' to avoid too much embarrassment ;D

I am grateful for the chance to seek joy in silliness.

8 comments:

  1. I love this deck :) Happy you chose this one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun, different one, despite the basic RWS links :)

      Delete
  2. You don't see this one blogged with much so a treat for me. I always dithered about whether to get it or not. A few of the cards put me off I think, but I will be interested to see it for the week on here. I think it's one that JJ likes, if I am right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, but I know Carla hates it. The deck has an extra card, the Master, of Osho himself. Bit lame, but I always read it as the need for self-mastery :) Will be interested to hear if you cave by the end of the week...

      Delete
  3. I really like this deck. It's my husband's favorite deck and the only one he really claims as his own. Whenever I used to ask him to do a reading for me (which he'd reluctantly oblige me on) he would always whip out this deck. And this is my daughter's card (Page of Wands) so it definitely has meaning for me.

    I hope you had some good fairy dancing. From the sound of it you could use some lighthearted dancing and relaxation.

    Sending gentle fairy-dancing vibes,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there was no fairy-dancing per se, but some exploring and playing, relaxing and meditating - very refreshing :)

      Restful vibes,
      Chloë

      Delete
  4. Noooooo! Not the Osho Zen!!!!! ;) Faery dancing could be possible in autumn??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, yes, I love it still :) And I'm sure faery dancing is possible at any time of year! :D

      Delete