Saturday, 13 July 2013

Seeker of Shells

Another cute animal deck, this week : D  Here we have the Animal Wisdom Tarot (CICO Books, 2013).  This deck has renamed the suits Branches (Wands), Shells (Cups), Feathers (Swords), and Fossils (Pentacles).  It also renames the Court Cards: Seekers, Guardians, Nurturers and Masters.

Our first card is the Seeker of Shells, equivalent to the Page of Cups.  A polar bear strolls along a chunk of ice, with the aurora borealis sparkling overhead.  The shimmering lights cast rainbow hues onto the snow and ice, as well as reflecting in the calm water all around.  There is also a conch shell by the polar bear's front paws, which glows a pale blue.

In these shimmering, rainbow colours over cool, still water I see the traditional idea of exploring emotions, wondering at the variety of feelings the world can invoke.  There is something of innocence, too, in the polar bear's white fur and his walking the ice fearlessly, despite the edge that looms so close.  The conch shell speaks of listening to our own inner voice, murmurs from the deep that are actually from the pulsing of life through our veins.

Recently, it seems I quite often see Big Boy in the Pages I draw.  Not surprising, perhaps, given he is exploring himself, the world and his place in society.  Today, we are going to his school fair.  A chance to see his schoolmates in a different context.  And a chance for my Dear One and I to perhaps open up emotionally, too.  We don't often spend time with other families with disabled children...

I am grateful for the chance to see the world through the eyes of a child.

4 comments:

  1. Funny, I'd have thought ice would associated with swords. I am having trouble relating a polar bear to the Page of Cups, though I like the associations you made with the details of the card. And it's a very pretty card. I look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's that definitive. Not all Shells cards are icy, some Feathers cards are quite watery, but I think all the Branches cards are quite fiery :)

      Delete
  2. I see what you mean here, but I also quite like it. The snow and ice is water, after-all, and there is a lot of that about. If it had been a playful bear cub then maybe it might have fit the card better for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true about snow and ice just being water. I guess it's just that so often winter is associated with Swords... And I agree, a cub would have worked better. Though this one could still be quite young... :)

      Delete