Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Thunderbolt

Ha, another week, another Tower!  Still, this version from the Osho Zen Tarot (St. Martins Press, 1995) is one of the most positive Towers going, I think.

Although in the foreground we can see two figures falling from a place where lightning has struck, and fires burning in the structure, there is more to this card.  If we look deeper, we see a buddha-type figure sitting in meditation.  So, there is the suggestion that if we can find inner calm, we can weather any storms that life sends our way.

One phrase from the companion book has always stuck with me: “A shake-up that’s a wake-up”.  The challenges in our lives encourage us to take stock of our situation, and make conscious changes: accepting, adapting, and transforming.

My day already has a few clouds on the horizon.  Lots to do and not a lot of time to do it, as one of Big Boy's carers has had a family emergency.  Still, I take this card as encouragement to let go of some of my expectations, and stay with what is.

I am grateful for the reminder to look inside and find a little tranquility, no matter what is going on around me.

4 comments:

  1. “A shake-up that’s a wake-up”

    Ah, I like that. I think we often run screaming from The Tower, rather than actually appreciating the lesson. I like the Buddha figure. Kind says that the work starts before the explosion, that you can prepare, rather than having a structure of shaky ground (being unprepared).

    Great card. Good luck with the dark clouds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, the idea of preparing is a good one, and rather more upbeat than "your world is about to come crashing in, deal with it!" :D

      Delete
  2. The location of the flames made me think 'heartburn' and 'digestive issues' in the Buddha body. I agree this image is more interesting than the typical tower. I like your interpretation!

    I've seen some people use literal interpretations of this as being digestive issues. Hope things are OK in that arena.

    XOXOXO,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, MM. My digestion has been a little off... Though actually, the flames are at all four of the major chakras located in the body. So maybe it's more about uproar at every physical level, but our more spiritual/mental aspcet being able to calm the flames :)

      Hugs to you,
      Cxx

      Delete