Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Emotional Satisfaction?

Another pretty strange card greets us today from the Gypsy Palace Tarot (Nora Huszka, 2013).

At least there are a couple of cups in this card to hint at its suit, if not its number.  In this version of the Nine of Cups I see more a sense of gluttony and lasciviousness than of emotional satisfaction. 

There is a green woman who appears to be licking the paw of a red dog.  And a pink eunuch looking hungrily at the yellow bird perched on the dog's nose.  Or perhaps the eunuch wants to grab hold of the dog's strangely stretched leg and stick it in an oven like a haunch of lamb.  Altogether, this card strikes me as somehow grotesque. 

The message I see for myself today is not to give into emotional excesses.  I need to get on with work, after a long weekend off, and letting my emotions and desires distract me sounds unproductive.  Time to focus!

I am grateful for lists to remind me of what needs doing and to keep my priorities straight.

4 comments:

  1. It looks more like a devil card to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, to enjoy the pleasures of life can be too overwhelming or satisfying, just depends on our borders- is it never enough or you can rest balanced and satisfied with your goods? If You look from the green character to the pink one, the levels are changing from enjoying until refusing them.
    Instead of the Devil's card, here you will not be 'punished' or addicted to these joys, it shows only an innocent way of playing and diving into the pleasures around you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nora,

      Thanks for giving your perspective on the card, very interesting. Now you point it out, I can see the level change - the different approaches to life's pleasures :)

      Delete