Wednesday, 14 August 2013

Flying Away

On this Wednesday morning, we are faced by another somewhat sad card, the Five of Cups from Lisa Chow's Oracle Tarot Deck (self-published, 2012).

At first glance we see a cheerful hot air baloon, with three cups flying up and away into the stars.  Looking closer though, those three cups are leaving behind two others, sat sad and lonely at the top of a small rise, with vegetation encroaching on them.  The two left-behind cups aren't even leaning in to support each other, but seem almost turned away from each other, facing in opposite directions.

This is quite a melancholy card, with it's sense of abandonment and loneliness.  Of course, the two cups on the hill are close to one another, they simply choose to be on different slopes of the hill (anthropomorphising crazily).

I normally see this card as being more about regrets than feelings of being left behind.  And perhaps that could be an interpretation here, too.  Maybe the two cups are sad they didn't grab their chance to fly away.  I think what I regret most is worrying so much about things that may not even happen...

I am grateful for the reminder to enjoy what I can, in the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the 5 of Cups is a bit sad, but I love the idea of not dwelling on things being sad sometimes. It's also good to acknowledge it, but not exactly wallow. Or something. :D I also worry about things that may or may not happen. Oy!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I'd like to meet the person who never worries about things that may not happen. Or maybe I wouldn't, as it would leave me feeling worse about my own mental health :/ It's funny, my DO often says, "Well, it hasn't happened yet, so stop thinking about it." But he's just as bad, though normally about different things :D

      Good luck to us all in being more in the present!
      XOXO
      Chloë

      Delete