Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Staged Happiness

Today, we have another minor from the Deck of the Bastard (Tarot by Seven, 2013), another 'aged' RWS image.

In this Ten of Cups, we have a man and woman, arms around each other, with the opposite hand raised up as though in thanks or to point to the rainbow of cups up in the sky before them.  To their side, two children dance and play, while in the distance we see a little house among trees, and a river running by.  It's interesting, though.  Bled of colour, I notice more the fact that the family appear to be on a flat surface.  It reminds me that Pixie Colman Smith, the illustrator of the RWS, also worked as a set designer in the theatre.  Several writers have commented on the 'staged' feel and look of some of her cards, and though I hadn't noticed it before, this is definitely one of them.

That fits well with my general reading of this card.  There is something to it of putting on a happy face, of the idea of a perfect family, rather than the reality of happiness.  It makes me ask questions like: what do you think a perfect family would look like?  How do you cover up the imperfections in your experience of family?  How can you really find happiness?  Who are the family that you choose?

Certainly, I feel myself and my family are far from perfect.  However, that doesn't stop us from experiencing happiness, even joy at times.  It also doesn't stop us from arguing and getting annoyed with each other, from having problems and disagreements.  That is the reality of family life, and I feel that so long as we can still look at each other with the eyes of love, then we can deal with whatever comes.  We don't have to be perfect to find happiness.

I am grateful for my family.


4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a situation many years back when this card came up, and I couldn't make sense of it. Beneath the surface, eh...
    I too am grateful for my crazy family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, Clara, beneath the surface...
      At least we can laugh about and enjoy our crazy families :)

      Delete
  2. Ah, you're right. They do look like actors on a stage, and the truth is, there is no perfect happy ending. We have to find happiness along the way, bumpy road or not. Very nice read on this card. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And somehow, the road always seems to be bumpy in real life ;)

      Delete