Sunday, 4 August 2013

The Law of Unforeseen Consequences

Once again, today I drew the Seven of Cups.  This Deck of the Bastard (Tarot by Seven, 2013) version is very different to last week's Fire Tarot interpretation, that's for sure!

As you can see, the Deck of the Bastard pips are basically RWS images which have been digitally 'distressed', and with a 'worn-look' border applied.  However, the images weren't just plunked into a template, each border is subtly different.  There's real attention to detail in this deck!  That's probably unsurprising, as it was originally created as a personal project: Elaine just put a deck up on etsy to try to make up for the price of her own copy.  However, it's become pretty popular, and now this tarot street reading single mom is trying to make a viable business out of unusual and customised decks and tarot accessories.  Good luck to her, say I!

Here, then, we have the traditional figure with his back to us, facing seven cups floating on a cloud.  Each cup contains a different offering, a different choice.  Some look scary, some look lovely, but can we really know what we're getting into when we pick something?  The scariest challenge can bring us great growth, while something we thought we wanted can prove disappointing or even toxic!

It feels like the choices I'll face today are likely to be emotional ones.  After all, today is our main family day.  Still, I'm reminded by this card of the law of unforeseen consequences: we can never fully predict the outcome of any choice we make or action we take.  So, we just do the best we can with the information at our disposal.  Of course, the tarot and other divination techniques can help improve the information we have, but life's path is never straightforward.

I am grateful for the tools at my disposal to try to make better choices.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I love this. I didn't realize self-published decks were available. I will have to explore Etsy! Elaine Wilkinson's concept is cool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you're in for a treat! There are loads of self-published decks out there :) Two of my favourites are the Tarot of the Absurd and the Incidental Tarot - you should find them googling, or else I've blogged with them, always with links... Some are now out of print, others are still available. The Anna K started out as a self-published deck, and has just gone mainstream. The Gaian was first self-published, too, and may go back to that now Llewellyn has let it go out of print...

      Delete
    2. That's great! In fact earlier today after reading your post I found the Incidental Tarot and added it to my "favorites". It looks so nice. So much to explore!

      Delete
  2. Nice. Another one to think about getting next year...

    I hope you're asleep. Or wait...just waking up? I got confused there for a minute. Either way, I hope you are well. :)

    Hugs,
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, I was actually awake then, though I would rather not have been, as I think it was about half four in the morning when you commented.

      I know, so many decks, so little time... ;)

      Hugs,
      Cxx

      Delete