Monday, 30 September 2013

Archetypes

Today's card from the Babylonian Tarot (Llewelyn, 2006) shows us one of the Court cards, the King of Arrows (Swords).

In this deck, the card is represented by Ellil.  Reading up on this God, he sounds a lot like Zeus: King of the younger generation of Gods, ruler of the earth, in charge of law-making and justice.  Some of his titles also echo Zeus: wild bull, father of the gods, he who resides on the Great Mountain of the East (Mount Olympus, anyone?)  Even the image looks a fair bit like Zeus, though holding an arrow instead of a lightening bolt.

It has always interested me, the way that we find certain archetypal figures repeating in different mythologies from around the world.  In any case, here we have a God renowned for keeping the Tablet of Destiny.  He could show his anger when he felt humanity deserved it, too, a harsh God who advocated for the Great Flood.

So, decisive, sometimes angry, enforcing harsh justice but based on a rational perspective, he does seem to suit the King of Arrows (Swords) quite well.

It doesn't surprise me overly to see this card today.  For one thing, I still have some legal documents to read.  For another, I'll be meeting a solicitor this afternoon, which is definitely a profession I'd associate with this card.  Seems I need to draw on my own inner King of Arrows to handle these challenges...

I am grateful for a decisive and rational approach.

8 comments:

  1. This can be a very useful archetype for you today. Even if it's just a guise :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true, we can put these archetypes on and take them off as needed, as masks that we wear for the occasion :)

      Delete
  2. I love the ornate beard. I still can't get over what people say about the King of Swords (or the Queen of Swords for that matter!) Air signs are portrayed as being harsh and cold in the tarot, but I don't find this to be the case at all! But I guess that's just my opinion. The intellectual aspect and the seeing different sides of an issue seems on the money to me, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, though he was a harsh God, he did still care about people and the world. As you say, sometimes the Air signs get a bum rap. But then, being a double Gemini I would say that ;)

      Delete
  3. Not a better time or place for the King of Swords than legal dealings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a pretty deck! I like the artwork and the takes on some of the cards (like your post today about 9 Swords/Arrows) are quite interesting....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting deck. I like the connections to an ancient culture, though the artwork is sometimes a little "naive" as Carla pointed out in another post. Still, the colours are far warmer than the Thoth, which always puts me off a little :)

      Delete